Can't boot from HD

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro, new this year, running 10.5.5, I think. Last week I wiped the disk, reinstalled the system, and loaded all of my stuff back on it. It worked just fine for the week.

This morning it was telling me that I didn't have permission to move/trash some files. I didn't think to run permissions repair - I just decided to reboot it. The gray Apple logo screen came up, then the plain blue background came up. It repeatedly showed the spinning black "working" symbol for a while, then flashed slightly going all blue, then showed the symbol again. This repeated indefinitely. A hard reset was the only way I could think to turn it off. This happens anytime I try to boot up from the disk.

I can start up in single user mode no problem. fsck says the disk is fine. I can access files on the disk this way.

I can start up with the system installer disk. I ran disk repair with Disk Utility. Again, it says it's fine. Running permissions repair with Disk Utility on the system installer disk fails. It immediately returns the message "Underlying task reported failure on exit."

Reset Password seemed to have a default permissions reset. This didn't seem to help.

A few forums seemed to suggest some commands in single user mode that would fix the problem. There was so much disagreement that I decided against trying any of them.

Other forums seemed to say if I was repairing the disk, I would need a utility like DiskWarrior. However this seems to be a problem with permissions. I have an old copy I used with 10.2.

Thanks for any advice you might have to solve this problem!

Ask a Question