Can't access certain internet pages with Safari

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new MacBook. I haven't worked with a Mac in 10 years. I love my new Mac, but am having a problem conducting business on certain Internet pages using Safari. I've downloaded Firefox 2.0 and tried using that as well, all to no avail. One of the problem sites is Ebay. When I try to list an item for sale the description area won't let me do anything other than type a paragraph. No spaces, no font size, color or type change, and not even starting a new paragraph.:confused: It's really frustrating. :eek: I've contacted the three sites that I'm having trouble with (yes, only 3, but they are important!), but they have no suggestions.

Anyone else having or had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
tried other browsers as well ? firefox 1.5 or mozilla netscape or opera ?
it could be that a few options arent checked
or that your java is disabled or not updated truthfully though im grabbing at straws here

are you behind a firewall ?

Reaction score
I've tried making sure the Java and Java Script is checked, and it was. I've also been told to reset the Safari, but it didn't help either.

If Firefox 2.0 isn't do the trick, would 1.5? Is there something different between the two?

Does anyone know anything that might be checked or something I should not check that could possibly be causing the problem?

Trust me, all suggestions are welcome, I'm at my wits end!

Reaction score
it cant hurt to try firefox 1.5
2.0 is noricably more sluggish with me and some sites dont work properly this forum for instance doesnt alwas load through for me under firefox 2
id happily go back to firefox 1.5 if putting my bookmarks back wasnt such a pain

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

I haven't noticed any problems using Safari and eBay...but I haven't put anything up for a while.

What version of Safari, and OS X have you got ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
My safari version is 2.0.4 and my OS X is 10.4.8.

It's really weird - the three sites that I'm trying to work with keep telling me to use IE 5.0 or later, but you can't download IE for Mac since Microsoft took it off in January.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help, hopefully I'll get this figured out!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not sure about Firefox, but you can do similar in Safari...

Quit Safari.

Go to Terminal and enter:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

then press return...

Then open Safari and there is now a Debug Menu on the right...

Go down to the User Agent Menu and pick 'what browser' you want to be...

To get rid of the debug menu do this...

Quit Safari.

Go to Terminal and enter:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 0

then press return...

Whilst this will fool the the web server into thinking that you are now using Explorer, the site may still not function as expected because 'Explorer' works in a differnet way to other browsers...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry...

Go to the Applications folder then inside that open the Utilities Folder then double click the Application called 'Terminal'

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric, sorry to keep being a pain and asking stupid questions, BUT that being said:

When I go to the terminal it has the last login time, Welcome to Darwin, and it says corrine-crickmores-computer:~ corrinecrickmore$ where to I type this code in?

I tried to type it in right after all that and nothing happens in Safari. I tried just hitting enter to get a blank row, but it keeps repeating the same line.

Can you clarify anything for me?

Thanks, again!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Terminal and UNIX are a bit daunting to most regular Mac users...don't worry !

The line you see is the prompt, as bluekatt says you just click once into the terminal window to make sure it's active then typr the text above and then press return, then you can quit out od Terminal and relaunch Safari.

I have written a couple of Apple Scripts that will do this for you, they are attached.

Just download them, and double click.

One will activate the Debug menu and one will Deactivate if you want to get rid of it.

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Deactivate Safari Debug Menu.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 304
  • Activate Safari Debug Menu.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 301
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help, but nothing seems to be working. I ran the debug and tried all of the listed options to run the internet as, and none worked. Seems like there is some kind of conspiracy against these three internet sites. If anyone can think of anything else to try, please let me know.

Reaction score
are you behind a firewall ?
or a router ?

in the worst case scenario you either have to find internet explorer 5
or reinstall your mac

i reinstalle dmy mac todat ( tiger 4.8 )
and am running firefox 1.5 and safari 2.0
i tried the only site you gave us ( ebay )
and it works fine on both browsers so what ever the problem is it is your mac

edit :

but if you really must have IE 5 here it is >> http://www.pure-mac.com/webb.html#mie

i suggest you try it with that first
and for others to pick it up before its gone

Ask a Question