Can not turn off the display while app is on

Reaction score
Hello people , my first time to write in any help-site , please excuse my English , I am Greek ...
Well , I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) , it had the HighSierra , and after I recently went to Catalina ,
I had to redownload some of the apps which were not working , such as the Vdj8 that I have now .

When it is on , without me touching any buttons , it plays in automix while I am trying to have a nap ,
but my problem is that my macbook doesn't take a nap , because the screen is bright .
I checked my energy saving prefferences , I thing the are as they should be , but my mac will not turn off the lights

Same thing happens if I leave the Safari open , while this wasn't happening with HighSierras , though I am sure that something else is the problem
that i am not seeing it !

sorry , not happening with safari open , it turns off the display properly , just checked .

Thank you all very much

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Evris, and welcome to the forum...

There is a workaround for this that I use in a situation like this on my MacBook Pro that turns the screen off manually.

Follow these steps.

1. Under the Apple menu go to System Preferences.
2. Select Mission Control.
3. Click on the button labled Hot Corners...
4. Hold Down the Control Key, and click on the Bottom Left pulldown and select Put Display to Sleep.
5. Close the System Preferences.

Now all you need to do when you want the display to go to sleep hold down the Control Key and move your mouse to the lower left corner of the screen.

The display will stay off until you either move the mouse or touch a key on the keyboard.

Now you can enjoy a restful nap.

Reaction score
Hi Evris, and welcome to the forum...

There is a workaround for this that I use in a situation like this on my MacBook Pro that turns the screen off manually.

Follow these steps.

1. Under the Apple menu go to System Preferences.
2. Select Mission Control.
3. Click on the button labled Hot Corners...
4. Hold Down the Control Key, and click on the Bottom Left pulldown and select Put Display to Sleep.
5. Close the System Preferences.

Now all you need to do when you want the display to go to sleep hold down the Control Key and move your mouse to the lower left corner of the screen.

The display will stay off until you either move the mouse or touch a key on the keyboard.

Now you can enjoy a restful nap.
1000 x Thank you !

Ask a Question