Can I use my 27" 2010 iMac as my main monitor for M1 or M2 Mac Mini? Sorry I clicked on the wrong thread, this hasn't been solved yet. I just posted.

Reaction score
Good morning to all,

I have a still well functioning 27" 2010 iMac running High Sierra that I inherited from my son that I've been using for the past few years. So far I've been very happy w/ it in spite of it "chugging" along since I don't do too much heavy lifting work in it (videos etc). For heavier work, I use a 2014 MBP Retina and use the iMac on Target mode. It seems that I need to start considering getting an M1 or M2 Mac Mini in the near future.

My question guys is, can I use my iMac as my main monitor in case I get a M1 or M2 Mac Mini? The reason behind it is more economics than anything else :)

Reaction score
You should be able to do this with a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adaptor.

There is also a Wireless solution that I use to connect my MacBook Pro to an old 2010 iMac called Luna Display. You plug a dongle into you new mini and then run their secondary software on the iMac and it becomes a wireless display.

You can read more about this at https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay

Here are the instructions on how to set it up on a Mini in headless mode. https://help.astropad.com/article/218-how-do-i-use-luna-display-in-headless-mode

Last edited:

Tks

Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing if you tried MacsBug's solution. I'm curently considering the same solution (mac mini + same 2010 27' iMac)
Good morning to all,

I have a still well functioning 27" 2010 iMac running High Sierra that I inherited from my son that I've been using for the past few years. So far I've been very happy w/ it in spite of it "chugging" along since I don't do too much heavy lifting work in it (videos etc). For heavier work, I use a 2014 MBP Retina and use the iMac on Target mode. It seems that I need to start considering getting an M1 or M2 Mac Mini in the near future.

My question guys is, can I use my iMac as my main monitor in case I get a M1 or M2 Mac Mini? The reason behind it is more economics than anything else :)

Reaction score
Tks,

I use the Luna Diplay with my MacBook Pro. I use a 2012 27" iMac as the secondary display, and that works great.

I just set this up for a friend of mine that has a similar setup with a mini and an older iMac, and there are 2 issues that came up.

1. The mini needs to have a monitor on it for initial setup. You need to install the Luna software and then set it up to launch at login.
I used a TV connected via HDMI for this.

2. The iMac needs to have macOS High Siera or later installed on it to run the secondary software.

Tks

Reaction score
Tks,

I use the Luna Diplay with my MacBook Pro. I use a 2012 27" iMac as the secondary display, and that works great.

I just set this up for a friend of mine that has a similar setup with a mini and an older iMac, and there are 2 issues that came up.

1. The mini needs to have a monitor on it for initial setup. You need to install the Luna software and then set it up to launch at login.
I used a TV connected via HDMI for this.

2. The iMac needs to have macOS High Siera or later installed on it to run the secondary software.
After a bit of searching, I think your solution "thunderbolt 3 to 2" does not work for an iMac 2010, as the mini display port of 2010 is not even a Thunderbolt 1.

Luna Display might be a solution, but Is your friend's iMac also a 2012, or earlier? In any case, how is it connected? Seems ethernet cable between imac and mac mini is the best solution, but then bye bye ethernet for the mac mini. I've found things on the net, but not with anything prior to an imac 2012.

Frankly, when I compare the latest high tech 5K monitors with my imac, I don't see the difference (my eyes don't anyway), and find the design of the imac screen infinitely better than anything since then. Therefore if I could keep it as a screen, I'd be happy about it.

If you or anyone has info, I'd be glad to hear about them.

Reaction score
The Luna Display will be plugged into a thunderbolt 3 port on the new Mac mini, and not the iMac.

The iMac will be connected to the same wifi network as the mini, and must have 10.13.x or later on it, then you just need to run the Luna Secondary software on the iMac. I recommend setting it up to launch at login.

Once the Luna Display software connects, the keyboard and mouse that you have on the iMac will contol the Mac mini.

Tks

Reaction score
The Luna Display will be plugged into a thunderbolt 3 port on the new Mac mini, and not the iMac.

The iMac will be connected to the same wifi network as the mini, and must have 10.13.x or later on it, then you just need to run the Luna Secondary software on the iMac. I recommend setting it up to launch at login.

Once the Luna Display software connects, the keyboard and mouse that you have on the iMac will contol the Mac mini.
I'm a bit confused here ...
I plug the Luna Display into a USB-c port on mac mini, this is clear.
I can use ethernet on both imac and mac mini, no problem.
Luna display website (see attachment) strongly advises to use a cable between the 2 macs. Why? What for?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 20.05.14.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 20.05.14.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reaction score
When I set this up for my friend, that was an option. They claim that it works better with a USB cable interconnecting the 2 Macs, but it works just fine without one as well.

Ask a Question