Install 2011 iMac logic board into 2010 iMac

Reaction score
I want to take out my mid-2010 27 inch iMac's logic board and replace it with a 2011 27 inch iMac's logic board for more cpu support. All i want to ask is, is it possible?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I would say no, since they have slightly different specifications and connections/ports. The 2010 has a Mini DisplayPort and the 2011 replaces that with two Thunderbolt ports, so the ports will not line up. Other internal components my differ slightly as well.

Depending on which processors are on each logic board, you would only see very modest speed gains if at all for everyday tasks.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Thank you so much! But I have to ask, is there any way I can install a cpu other than the lga 1156 socketed ones on my computer?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Not that I know of, as the Apple processors are soldered to the logic board and don't use the same interchangeable socket that PCs do.

C

Reaction score
So, the processors are soldered to the board, and they cannot be replaced or upgraded?

Ask a Question