Can I make WAV and MP3 Files on MAC OSX?

Reaction score
I'm a voice-over artist and my clients are requesting me to make demos on WAV files and MP3 files. Is there any way to record my voice on MAX OSX and make WAV and MP3 files?

I use iMAC OSX (10.4.9). Any suggestion is appreciated:) .

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There are several ways...

Just about any Mac audio software can record and export in AIFF and WAV. Some can do MP3 directly, but they are a little more pro-level. You can always get your recording and convert it to all those formats and more using the Convert command in iTunes.

What hardware/software are you currently using/thinking about buying?

C

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. Honestly, I have no idea what software to use. I'm totally ignorant about voice recording with MAC (or PC). If I have to buy software, lower the price is the better. Sice it's just demo, even free software is fine too.

I have iTunes, GarageBand and QuickTime. Can record my voice using a microphone with any of these software?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
GarageBand - of course...it has recording and editing ability.

QuickTime - basic recording and only if you purchased the QuickTime Pro upgrade.

iTunes - is a player/organizer only.

There is a great open source (freeware) recording and editing app called Audacity. It's very nice and comparable to some of the low-end pro apps.

What kind of mic and audio interface are you looking to use?

C

Reaction score
Just an FYI for you Macaroni and to add to Cory's recommendations, To upgrade to QuickTime Pro costs $30 US.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Thank you Cory, Searay for the valuable info. I'm thinking of using a cheap microphone and headset available at Radio Shack or Best Buy. Either Garage Band or Quick Time Pro might work. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

BTW, Searay, I cannot open your site. An error message says I can't open "due to data transfer restrictions."

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a cheap microphone and headset available at Radio Shack or Best Buy.

Well, that won't be high enough quality for professional sounding voiceover work.

Look at some of the USB condenser mics that are available now...Samson C01U, RØDE Podcaster, etc.

The mics/headsets you speak of aren't always compatible with the Mac's audio input jack, as they do not have a mic preamp built-in. The level will not be high enough to record anything.

C

Reaction score
Best of luck to you Macaroni.

My website is down because I exceeded my bandwidth quota for the 2 weeks. It should be online now. Check it out and check out justsimpsons.com too.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Thank you again, Cory and Searay. You've been very helpful. I find the garageband tutorial quite usefu.

Searay, now I can open your site. Looks like a fun site.

Ask a Question