Wave crash/flush sound at random times

Reaction score
Hi,

Lately my laptop has been playing a wave crash or flush sound randomly. It mostly happens when I first wake it from sleep, but doesn't seem connected to any particular program. I've run a virus scan and it came up with nothing. I've updated to Yosemite and it still happens. It doesn't do it often, but it doesn't seem to mean anything either.

I can't find any reference to it online. Any ideas of what it might be or how to get rid of it?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model portable Mac?

I think you may be hearing the sound of the optical drive initializing itself. It does that every time you startup or wake from sleep. To test if that is the sound, navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and launch it. You will hear the optical drive initialize itself.

Let us know if that is indeed the sound you are hearing.

C

Reaction score
It's a late 2013 MacBook Pro. It doesn't have an optical drive, it's a flash drive. The sound definitely sounds like a sound file playing from the speakers. :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ooops...I thought it might be an older model with a SuperDrive. ';)

Let me dig a little deeper and I will let you know if I come up with anything.

C

Ask a Question