Broken screen and refinery issues

Reaction score
Hello

The display of my daughter’s MacBook 16” got broken and now I get a black screen.

The display on external monitor initially came once the MacBook boots up and We enter the password through hit and trial the password.

It was only later I learnt that closing the lid at the time of boot itself will pull the display on external monitor and we can actually see password screen. My bad! Real story starts now!

This permutation and combination of password without seeing the screen ended in locking my password to the point that now the MacBook is not taking legitimate password that has worked over years. Something got corrupted and now it says incorrect password on correct password, tried on original and extended keyboard. I attempted to click on reset via Apple ID option and then later also started MacBook in recovery.

The issue is that this process and the recovery display only shows up on the laptop display, which is broken and I don’t see anything on extended monitor. Tried F1 to pull display of it on monitor but didn’t work.

What are my options to reset the password through Apple id or to repair the Disk through recovery in an attempt to fix this loop?

1) Will removing the LVDS internal display connection , which I believe is all about pulling display cable from its socket transfers the entire display on extended monitor, from there I can reset the password through Mac Utility?
2) if I take it to a shop, will they be able to pull the disk and connect on a working display MacBook to allow me to reset password and then put it back on original?
3) any other options?

i obviously cannot pay $700-$800 on new display and this is my daughter’s school laptop

Any guidance/ help is appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the late reply and your dilemma.

Since you get an image on the external display, I would try the following:
  • Start the Mac up and let it get to the login page
  • With the external display and an external keyboard and mouse connected, close the lid
  • Press a key or click the mouse to "wake" the Mac
  • All windows should then display on the external display and not the built-in, which should allow you to see the recovery info
  • It will then function as a desktop Mac instead of a portable
See if that allows you to get logged in.

C

Ask a Question