Boot Camp/Windows NIGHTMARE

Reaction score
I need to install windows on to my iMac to continue a course I’m taking at uni. Sadly it’s been a nightmare so far.

I backed up all of my data and opened Boot Camp Assistant and tired to partition a section of my hard drive for windows. However it gave me an error each time I tired. After asking around I was told to buy idefrag and that should fix the problem - it didn’t. I was then told to format the hard disk and reinstall OSX. I did that and Boot Camp was now happy to partition my hard drive.

I insert a copy of legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional (x64) and clicked the Install Windows button when Boot Camp prompted me to.

Windows installation menus open after a quick restart but quickly tells me it cant see any partitions/drives to install on.

I googled the problem read that the partition should be formatted to NTFS for windows seven to install and that OSX wont do that. I installed a free program called NTFS-3G and that formatted the partition to NTFS.

Windows now saw the drive and went through the installation process. After it has gone through its automated routine it restarts the Mac and takes me to a "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..."

I press Enter and it takes me back to the very first installation menu and restarts the whole thing until it has once again gone through its automated routine and restarted the Mac and told me to press any key.

This happened ever time. During the install I am presented with the options of "Installing Windows" or "repairing windows". When I tried the automatic repair it told me it could find no fault.

So I started again by deleting the partition from within OSX and making a new one and installing windows and restarting but this time remove the windows 7 disk.

All this did was boot the Mac up in OSX. I then restarted the Mac and held down the options key. This presented me with the choice of booting from the Mac HDD or the windows partition. I chose the windows partition and it takes me to a black screen with a flashing line/prompt and does nothing else.

I assumed Windows 7 might not like my Mac for some strange reason so brought a copy of Vista business with SP2 (x86).

I deleting the partition from within OSX and made a new one. I began installing Vista. It told me it could only install on NTFS formatted partitions/drives.

Once again I used NTFS-3G to formatted the partition to NTFS and relaunced vista.

It installed fine and restarted itself. Once again it took me back to the first installation screen just as windows 7 did. I tried restarting without the disk (hold options again) and it took me back to the black screen with the flashing line and sat there forever.

I restarted the Mac with the OSX 10.6.1 install disk in the drive and it booted up ignoring the disk. I launched the disk from desk top and looked through the install options hoping to find some drivers or extra installs for boot camp/windows. I couldn’t see anything.

I don’t know what else to try.
Thanks for any help!

I have a 21.5' iMac:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz