Best Anti-virus software for Mac?

Reaction score
Reaction score
why would you want to use antivirus on mac?
Contrary to popular belief, although they're far from being common, there are viruses for the Mac platform but the main reason that I have an antivirus program on my Mac is because I want to protect my Windows friends just in case.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well said W666! Mac OS can still carry and pass on virus nasties to susceptible platforms.

Reaction score
Well said W666! Mac OS can still carry and pass on virus nasties to susceptible platforms.
Thanks Spawn, nice to see ya. Around a year back or so I was a bit bored and ended up looking up my name on the net. Sure enough I clicked on a link to a web page and downloaded a virus. Good old Norton ate that sucker up! I've heard many complaints about Norton from Mac users claiming that Norton will destroy your Mac but I've had it installed on my eMac going on four years and the eMac is still alive and doing quite well! :D

Reaction score
Yes it does. Even though viruses are so far and few in between (seriously, there aren't that many and if you got one, then please buy a lotto ticket or make sure a lightning storm is near by ;) ) Mac can still pass on Windows viruses through emails and what not. Now, the mac won't "open or use" the virus, so you are fine, but your Windows friends will have headaches.

I had norton on my G4, but when I got my MacBook Pro a year later, I refused to put Norton back on the G4 after a reformat of the HD or on my MacBook Pro. I found it too overwhelming and defeating Apple's mission of keeping products user friendly. Plus, it was system hungry. It demanded a lot of system resources like RAM and Virtual Memory. I haven't been running any virus protection for almost 3 years now and I have not had any problems. But I may have to check out that link Walrus posted. Thanks dude!

Cheerio
Searay

Ask a Question