Battery/Water damage

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hopefully you guys can help me out here.

I was (stupidly) walking through a downpour of rain we were having here last Wednesday with my 2010 Macbook Pro in my (soon to find out not waterproof) backpack. Normally when my laptop is in my backpack I have it inside a case, but I had forgotten my case at home, so the computer was directly inside my backpack. When I reach where I'm going, I find that my computer is slightly wet, and it won't turn on.
Long story short, I let the computer air out for over 24 hours, and the computer turns on with the power cord attached, with a black X over the battery ("No batteries available") I ordered a replacement battery (not from Apple) and installed it this morning. After several hours of being plugged in, I'm still getting the X over the battery.
Could there be an issue with something other than the battery, or is there some way to reset the battery? (I've already done an SMC reset)
FYI, the macbook works perfectly while plugged in.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
There are many areas of the Laptop that could have been damaged by water. It sounds like the water has effected the Power Supply.

The first thing I'd do is swap the Battery with a "known good", I doubt the new 3rd party battery has a problem but you just never know.

If the Power area has been damaged then there is very little you can do. If you have personal accidental damage insurance, contact your insurance company.

Ask a Question