Battery saying it is charged when it isn't...

BTt

Reaction score
Hello all, new here.

So basically, my battery has been having episodes of "not charging". When I plug in the MagSafe charger, it says that the battery isn't charging and is instead being powered by a power adapter. I've had this on and off for a couple of weeks. I don't know if Macs can be affected by weather, but it only seems to do this on cold days.

Anyhow, when it does charge, it charges, and that's great, it works fine. However now, I've hit a new problem. Battery, when I click on it in the top corner says that it's fully charged at 97% -- yet the colour of the MagSafe charger is still orange. When you look at the "About this Mac" "system report" it says this:
Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5660

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6164

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 501

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -2

Voltage (mV): 8334

So now, I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BTt

EDIT: I'm running a MacBook Air, early 2015, V.10.11.6 OS X El Capitan

Reaction score
Is it the original battery? I have owned two Mac Book Airs: a mid 2013 13" 252 gig model (recently sold it), and (recently purchased) a mid 2017 13" 252 gig model, and I have never had this issue. Is the original battery inside the machine?

Also, a couple of standard questions:

1. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If yo are, what software are you using for that?

BTt

Reaction score
Is it the original battery? I have owned two Mac Book Airs: a mid 2013 13" 252 gig model (recently sold it), and (recently purchased) a mid 2017 13" 252 gig model, and I have never had this issue. Is the original battery inside the machine?

Also, a couple of standard questions:

1. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If yo are, what software are you using for that?

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Original battery, yes. I've not done any of those things. I'm not at all tech-savy. :/

Thanks.

BTt

Ask a Question