Battery Usage Question

Reaction score
This topic has perviously been discussed, but I have a question regarding "bus powered" devices and battery usage.

My wife and I will be taking a trip to London on March 4th, leaving Seattle for that almost 10 hour flight. I plan on bringing one of my external Samsung SSDs with me inside an Orico enclosure. (I would use it on the flights to watch either movies or TV series). However, the use of that enclosure, via a USB 3.0 cable, entails it being bus powered, ie, draining the battery on my MacBook Air.

I am wondering if such a battery drain would be less by using a flash drive/USB "stick" instead. I actually have 2 such devices, 32 gig and 64 gig in size. I most likely can use the 64 gig one to store way more than enough videos to watch. I guess if that was a concern, that I could buy a larger capacity flash drive, 128 or 256 gig. But, again I am curious about battery usage.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I would guess the drain would be similar, but maybe slightly more, since an SSD in an enclosure is basically the same thing as a USB flash drive.

You could always make some space on your internal drive, and store the movies/shows that you will watch on the flight there, then move them to the external and copy others for the return flight.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. And yeah, given that I have about 175 gig of free space on the Air's SSD drive, your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Ask a Question