Battery and CPU issues. Just a bad battery?

Reaction score
Late 2011 Macbook Pro CPU spikes 90% when unplugged from charger, won't boot from 100% full battery, strange behavior, terrible performance, battery menu says "Service Battery." Could I just need a new battery? It seems strange that a bad battery would cause so many problems even when plugged into the charger.

If I boot without charger, it loads to desktop for a second then screen goes black, Fans still running, no response from keyboard, mouse. if I plug it back in it comes back to life after a minute or so but has really crazy UI glitches and 90% CPU usage. only way to fix is to shut down completely and start it with charger. Sometimes even that doesn't work the first time. Having problems with a few applications too. Logic Pro, MainStage, Safari, Messages. Problems with external audio interfaces too. Problem happens even when not connected to ANYTHING. So i think i ruled out external devices.

Late 2011 Macbook Pro
2.5Ghz Quadcore
16GB Ram 1333MHz
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Two internal hard drives:
512GB Samsung 850 EVO
750GB WD Black 7200rpm
Battery capacity 4895
Actual capacity 4702
Cycles 197
"Health" 72%
Status "Service Battery"

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Since it is reporting Service Battery, I would tend to believe that is what is causing most of your issues.

As far as the audio apps and interfaces, make sure all are up to date, including any software for the audio interfaces. If you give s a little more information, we can narrow it down further:

-Version of Mac OS X?
-Version of MainStage, Logic Pro, etc.?
-Brand/model of audio interfaces?
-Amount of free hard drive space on the startup/application drive?
-Any third-party utilities such as MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, or antivirus installed?

C

Ask a Question