Bad video card

Reaction score
So I brought my wife's computer to a mac repair shop to figure out what is wrong with it, come to find out the video card is bad. Here is her computer specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-quad-core-2.66-early-2009-nehalem-specs.html

This is her video card:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory was installed in a double-wide, 16-lane PCI Express 2.0 graphics slot.

So I removed the old video card and I have been looking for a replacement but I cannot seem to find one.

I stumbled across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a=EVGA&cm_ite=14130625&cm_ven=BAC-CriteoBrand

Someone told me that not every video card will work in MACs, there are special cards to buy. If someone could educate me on this I would be greatful.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I found this snippet which hopefully helps you a bit if you haven't already found this info yourself. At least you have some clues as to a configuration of only two cards out of the possible three. I'd strongly suggest you keep doing the groundwork on this before committing yourself more.

The video card could use some work. I’m not concerned about the GPU power; it’s the amount of memory that bothers me. If any of Apple’s users are likely to have a multi-monitor setup it is a Mac Pro owner, and 512MB isn’t enough to enable silky smooth Exposé across a 30” + 24” setup. And you can forget about smooth transitions on two 30” panels.

Even the upgraded video card, the Radeon HD 4870 only comes with 512MB of GDDR5 memory. Apple charges an extra $200 for that card, even though that’s how much the 4870 1GB cards cost at Newegg. I have no problems with Apple making money, but not even offering a single 1GB graphics card is silly; especially when more memory is actually useful.

If you want the best solution for multiple monitors in a Mac Pro, you’ll want to get two GeForce GT 120s it seems (although there is a 3rd party option).

Reaction score
Thanks, any little bit helps. It's hard to research older mac stuff it seems, I have been over the web looking for any little bit. I think we are going to first try baking the video card in the oven, something about repairing cracks in the welding. If that doesn't work I am going to have to replace this card with something.

Ask a Question