Backup situation, 2 computers

Reaction score
I have a Quickslilver PowerPc tower and a Powerbook, both running OS X10.4.11, both 80 Gig hard drives. I had a LaCie external drive connected to the tower for backup, but it stopped mounting. I have a 500 Gig G-Drive that has not been used. I would like to make a bootable backup. I plan to replace my tower shortly with an iMac which will then have Time Machine. I would like to know how I should approach backing up each computer and whether to use CCC or SuperDuper. I do have a new copy of Leopard that I purchased intending to install it on my Powerbook but haven't yet. Where do I begin?
Since I have reason to believe that I have bad directories or something in the PowerPc, I don't think I should clone that one. What my biggest need is direction on what to do with my new external drive regarding the backup? If I clone that drive with either Carbon Copy or SuperDuper, what would be the procedure to follow in backing up the files from my tower? Then what happens when I have Time Machine? Will my other files still be on the external drive untouched or will Time Machine over ride them? I hope someone can shed some guidance. I realize I could just start dragging files over but I really want to clone so I will have a bootable drive with my current software. Thanks.

Reaction score
The difference between CCC and SuperDuper is not that great depending on what you want to back-up and how. I'd suggest maybe reading the reviews for both programs at sites such as Version Tracker and Mac Update. See what other customers are saying about both products.

Your statement about the PowerPC cloning is a wise one. Wouldn't it be easier to simply back-up your home folder and the main documents there? I have personally often found that it's best to start fresh with a new computer. If you have all the original software, I'd re-install it from the original disk instead of from the back-up. I know it can be time consuming depending on what you have. Also, by starting fresh, you might have to tweak your preferences for those apps, but the good side of that is the fact you wouldn't be importing damaged or troubled preferences.

Reaction score
I have decided to go with SuperDuper. If I just back up my home folder, what will happen when I attach the backup drive to a new computer with TimeMachine. Will it override what is already on my back up drive?

Also, how do I go about backing up files on my laptop? I have thought of cloning that machine as I have no reason to believe that there are any problems with this one. Some of the files are duplicates with my other computer, but there are also separate files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ask a Question