backing up important files

Reaction score
I have Mac OSX 10.4.11 operating systems. I went to back up my documents folder, by following these instructions and ran into this problem, lost my files:

I tried to use the instructions for back up files using a BURN FOLDER, using these steps:

Instructions:
1. In the Finder, choose File > New Burn Folder and name it.
2. Drag your important files to the burn folder. For example, drag the Documents folder to the burn folder.
3. Open the burn folder, click Burn, and insert a disc when asked. The original files that the aliases point to are burned to the disc.

I inserted my travel drive and created a burn folder on that. I dragged my documents folder to the travel drive "burn folder" and dropped it in.

The documents folder then disappeared from my menu, and when I click on the burn folder "burn" button, nothing happens. How do I get my documents back?

Any help much appreciated!

Reaction score
Drag them back out of the Burn folder.

The instructions you followed where not for 10.4, I think in those days it did move the files, I'm a bit vague it was a long time ago.

Reaction score
Kaveman's right, it was a long time ago! I don't have a working Mac running 10.4 any more, so I'm making this up from memory!

I'm pretty sure that using Burn Folders, the Mac creates aliases to the files you dragged in there... you were right that far.

The icons in the sidebar of a Finder window are just aliases - shortcuts to the real folders and files. In 10.4, when you drag an icon away from your sidebar, it simply removes that alias from the sidebar... That's where you went wrong - you needed to drag the actual Document folder to the Burn Folder!

From what you've told us, I don't think you've deleted anything though, other than the sidebar alias.
Locate your Home folder. The Home Folder was created when you first set up your login. It contains folders for Documents, Music, Pictures, Movies, etc. The folder you wanted to back up is the Documents folder.

While you're in your Home folder, drag the Documents folder icon back to the Finder window's sidebar to put it back to where you normally access it.

Ask a Question