Backing up -first time

Reaction score
Yesterday I backed up two MACs for the first time. I had trouble ejecting the external drive. Here are the two things that happened. I wonder if the backup worked in both cases. Thank you.

MacBook One: After Time Machine successfully backed up onto my external drive, I unplugged the USB cable without ejecting and then got the message that I did not properly eject. I then plugged it in and ejected it from Finder.

MacBook Two: After Time Machine announced it had completed the backup, I tried to eject the external drive from Finder. It kept saying that something else was using the drive. I finally force ejected.

So, do you think the backups were successful?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Most likely, they were. But, when I "eject" an external drive after my SuperDuper! backups are completely done, I just pull out the connector from the back of the applicable Mac. I then get a message, via the OS, that such and such a partition was not ejected properly. I just click on "Close", and everything is fine.

Ask a Question