Automatically reconnect Airplay on wake?

Reaction score
For last few years we've used a "retired" MacBook Pro 2014 running Cataline as a "zoom station" hooked up to living room TV via HDMI and with USB camera and mic attached. Laptop stays closed in a cabinet underneath and is operated via a wireless mini keyboard. MacBook can be woken from the wireless keypad and TV ingot switched to correct HDMI input. Has worked really well for us.

Now we have a new TV and as it now plays nicely with our soundbar we can connect it via HDMI (was previously connected via optical). This leaves us one HDMI input short on the TV so have been hoping to connect the laptop using Airplay instead. TV is a Samsung QN95 and playing around last night this connects fine and give acceptable streaming at the required quality for zoom etc. Which is fine when I'm setting it up, but doesn't help us when the laptop is back in the cabinet as I can't find a way to keep the airplay setting active after sleep/wake.

Is there any way to have the MacBook always connect to Airplay when it's woken by the mini keyboard? Don't want to be having to take it out the cabinet to start Airplay every time. Any suggestions for settings to achieve this (or if it could be done by script) much appreciated. I know we could add an HDMI switch to provide the additional input for the TV, but Airplay seems so close to a good solution I don't want to abandon it without trying to get the final piece in place.

Thanks
David

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Your Mac won't automatically reconnect to AirPlay when awakened from sleep. You may be able to create and AppleScript/Automator action to do that, but that is above my very limited experience.

Sorry, but maybe another member will have some ideas.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Your Mac won't automatically reconnect to AirPlay when awakened from sleep. You may be able to create and AppleScript/Automator action to do that, but that is above my very limited experience.

Sorry, but maybe another member will have some ideas.

C
Thanks. Going to have a bash at doing some kind of script for it.

Ask a Question