Automatic safe boot & password not reckognized

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I own a MacBook, bought in 2008 with Leopard as an OS. It is the balck model, if this helps.

While I was browsing, Firefox started behaving strangely. It was taking forever to minimize windows and could not use the top right function to view all applications/windows open. I restarted the mac but when it booted up again it did not do it properly. For 10 minutes I had the greyish screen with the loading sign underneath the apple logo, then eventually it showed me the safe boot mode, asking for my password. When I enetered it, it did not accept it (login window shaked at each attempt). I tried to log in from the CD, but again asked the password and did not accept the one I put in, even though I know it was the right one!

Now I can't use the mac and can't access safe boot either. Would you know any workaround solution for this, like a way to reset the password?
Have you got any clue on why the mac decided all in a sudden to boot up through the safe boot mode?

Thank you very much for your help!

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks a lot for you tip!
I tried it but with no success. When I switched on the Mac, it made it again to boot up normally , however, the issues with the weird firefox behaviour and the unavailability of the top right function continue.
I tried to reset the password from the system preferences but it keeps saying my old one was incorrect and I am sure I'm typing the right one.

I also tried to change the password from the disk, holding the C key while restarting: an icon appear and asks for my passowrd again, which, unfortunately does not go through.

I also tried to launch the disk from Finder by clicking on the installation button, but it asks me again for the password and again doesn't accept it:confused:.

It looks like I am at a dead end, have you got any ideas how I could fix this? Could this be an hardware problem?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Re: Automatic safe boot & password not recognized

Hi walrus,

thanks for your answer. i did try to hold the c key but did not work. However, after i tried that the computer booted up normally, still maintaining the same issues with Firefox. This time I managed to change the password from the apple drop down.

In any case, no success when I rebooted. It asked me the password again and again did not recognized. However, restarting it again, this time I managed to get it to boot up from CD. Password changed again for both user (me) and administrator (root). When I restarted it everything was ok and no issue with Firefox or anything anymore. Then restarted it and again asked the password and did not recognize it.

I changed it once again through the CD, and logged in ok.

I've only one big dilemma left now. If I switch off the Mac, will I have to reset a new password every time? Has this happened ever or does this ring a bell?

Thanks!

Ask a Question