Automatic deleting of files...without stopping at the trash bin

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am having a small problem with the whole deleting files thing.

Now, before I explain I must explain the terminology I am using so everyone can understand it. When I right click a file and click "move to trash" i call that trashing a file, but when i delete it from the trash bin i call that deleting a file.

Lately, when i right click a file on my computer and click "move to trash" instead of trashing the file, a display comes up and says "are you sure you want to delete this file? This item will be deleted immediately. You can’t undo this action." so the file is just immediately deleted without being moved to the trash bin.

It's not really a big problem but today when cleaning out my downloads folder i deleted something that was important by accident and i had to use the whole recovery tool thing to get it back when i should have just been able to go into the trash bin and restore it.

I think it may have something to do with the configuration of the trash can for my computer, because when i "move to trash" things off my external hard drives it goes into the trash instead of having that display come up.

Already found this (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...5607-unwanted-trash-behavior.html#post1273527) and it was no help...so i thought i would ask it myself.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
You should only get that message if the file is on a network volume, not a local file.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you tried to replicate this issue in another User Account? Also just to be certain, check Finder ~> Preferences ~> Advanced to see if there are ticks in the boxed next to "Empty Trash securely" & "Show warning before emptying the Trash".

Reaction score
@ kaveman - thats cool, but that doesnt change the fact that it is still happening

@ spawn - it works fine in the other users and now that ive switched it back from the guest user, it seems to be working. i have no idea what happened but it seems to have corrected itself. and attached is a picture of the things that are ticked off...

does anyone know what happened and how to avoid this kind of thing in the future?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-26 at 6.41.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-26 at 6.41.23 PM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 399
Reaction score
No real way to stop a problem you don't have from occurring in the unknown of the future.

I take it you don't have a separate Admin Account and your normal User Account isn't set to standard.

Ask a Question