Are the Samsung T5 and T7 SSDs really as bad for Macs as so many people claim they are?

Reaction score
I'm confused because so many "Best External Drives for Mac" articles list both the Samsung T5 and T7 as some of the top drives...and yet the reviews on Amazon have plenty of people telling Mac users to beware. Anybody on here have experience with either of these drives? I'm primarily looking for something that I can use for video editing.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not sure about that...sounds like the software/hardware encryption may have a conflict with macOS. Seems the security certificate expired a while ago - happened to a lot of cable modems and printer servers recently as well. Maybe it would be prevented if you didn't install the software for the T5/T7, or is it required?

You could always buy a Samsung SSD and a drive enclosure an build your own. I have Samsung EVO 850/860 SSDs in three of my Macs and haven't had a single issue with them.

C

Reaction score
I have a Samsung T5 that I use for cloning and backup using Carbon Copy Cloner. I use a late 2013 Macbook Pro under Catalina. I have booted up from the T5 and restored a clone. No problems so far.

Reaction score
I have four T5's and two T3's, all purchased from Amazon. They're used in daily rotations for Carbon Copy Cloner backups of two MacBooks and one Mac Mini beginning with Sierra, then High Sierra and now Mojave. The devices required no special setup other than formatting with Apple Disk Utility and all have performed flawlessly. I happen to have a personal preference for Crucial, having used their products for about twenty years, and recently added some of their external SSDs to my backup rotations. If you're apprehensive about Samsung, I can just as confidently recommend Crucial.

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've just received a Samsung T5 500gb SSD from ebay and when I went to 'install it' .... it says the certificate is expired and that it may not be a genuine article .... I have a pic of the pop up screen ...

Is it a fake? I've contacted the seller & awaiting a reply about it.

Is it safe to use this drive?
Samsung 500gb T5 hard drive certificate.jpg

I see that someone purchased one on Amazon with the identical message (same Certificate) .. they returned theirs.

The seller sent me the link to Samsung T5 Software Set up .... so am downloading that. It has 'loaded' but this message came up - do change the Security preferences to allow it to load?:
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 1.14.25 pm.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK ... have been in contact with the supplier & they will refund me on the Drive ..... I tried it on a separate computer & it wouldn't recognise it ..... So have returned it to them (at their cost) and await the refund.

Ask a Question