Apple USB SuperDrive

Reaction score
I'm gonna buy an Apple USB SuperDrive and I wan't to know if I can simply connect it to the Mac, put a CD into the Apple USB SuperDrive and then play the CD from my Mac?
Or do I need to install some software in order to play CD's from the Apple USB SuperDrive?

This is the kind Apple USB SuperDrive I'm gonna buy:

Reaction score
If you insert a CD it will mount and then open in itunes and ask if you want to import the music to your itunes library, press yes to import or No to then select a track or tracks to play.

Reaction score
No software is needed. The only restriction I know of it that it will not work when plugged into a USB hub, even if the hub itself is powered. You will get a pop-up error message telling you to connect to a USB port on your computer. If you have a new Mac with only USB C ports, and your SuperDrive has the older style USB plug, the SuperDrive will work if you use a USB-C to USB adapter.

Reaction score
No software is needed. The only restriction I know of it that it will not work when plugged into a USB hub, even if the hub itself is powered. You will get a pop-up error message telling you to connect to a USB port on your computer. If you have a new Mac with only USB C ports, and your SuperDrive has the older style USB plug, the SuperDrive will work if you use a USB-C to USB adapter.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that! :)

Ask a Question