Apple TV blinking light and unresponsive post-storm

Reaction score
Hi! I encountered a bit of a hiccup with my Apple TV after a brief storm today. Interestingly, the storm knocked out power for a short while, but my Apple TV wasn't in use at that time. However, when I tried to fire it up afterward, it simply refused to launch any apps I attempted to use, and I've been wrestling with it since.

I restarted the device, which then displayed a Bluetooth connection symbol, asking me to initiate a "repair" via my phone. The device has been unresponsive for over an hour now. I disconnected everything - HDMI, power, you name it..., all I got in return was a series of 3 fast blinks followed by a steady blinking white light, but no signs of life on the screen.

If anyone has any insights, tips, or magical solutions, I'm all ears.

Reaction score
Hi Mitch, and welcome to the forums.

Depending on the AppleTV that you have, and what version of macOS you have will depend on the resolution.

If the AppleTV has a USB-c connection on the back, and you have a Mac that is running macOS Catalina or later the easiest way is to use your Mac to restore it.

Disconnect the power and HDMI cables, and then plug the AppleTV into your Mac using a USB-c cable. Open your Finder, and the AppleTV should show up in the sidebar. Select the AppleTV and then click on Restore.

Ask a Question