New AppleID cannot create?

Reaction score
I donated a macBook Air to my friend for college. I signed in to iCloud and searched for my devices. Removed the macBookAir from my list of mac and ios devices.

i created a new user for the macBookAir.. He logs in. He does not have an appleID . we go to SystemPrefs to create a new appleid. Fills out the info and gets to the phine, email, pwd entry. Selects notify me by Txt. The error msg pops up: "Cannot create your request for an appleID".

Any idea why?

thankx
Ron

Reaction score
Besides removing the MacBook Air from your devices list, you may need to go into your account on the MacBook Air and sign out of Find My under the iCloud section. If you are not going to be using the MacBook Air at all, it may be a good idea to sign out of iCloud as well.

Reaction score
This happens far too many times, in a well intentioned attempt to give away a working Mac with current macOS and maybe a few third party apps users attempt to sidestep the necessary steps as provided by Apple, see; https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201065

1. Sign out of iTunes or The App store and deauthorise the device.
2. Sign out of iCloud (this will necessitate signing out of Find My).
3. Sign out of iMessage.
4. Erase your Mac.
5. Reinstall macOS.
6. Reset NVRAM

The purpose of all this is to remove the device from your Apple Profile and provide the new user with a device that starts up with the Setup Assistant allowing them to create an Apple ID, enter email address, and set Admin Password plus essential preferences.
From there they can update the macOS as required.

Any other method that skips these steps will eventually cause problems for the new and/or previous owner at some time.

Reaction score
This happens far too many times, in a well intentioned attempt to give away a working Mac with current macOS and maybe a few third party apps users attempt to sidestep the necessary steps as provided by Apple, see; https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201065

1. Sign out of iTunes or The App store and deauthorise the device.
2. Sign out of iCloud (this will necessitate signing out of Find My).
3. Sign out of iMessage.
4. Erase your Mac.
5. Reinstall macOS.
6. Reset NVRAM

The purpose of all this is to remove the device from your Apple Profile and provide the new user with a device that starts up with the Setup Assistant allowing them to create an Apple ID, enter email address, and set Admin Password plus essential preferences.
From there they can update the macOS as required.

Any other method that skips these steps will eventually cause problems for the new and/or previous owner at some time.
Aaah 👍
Silly question though:
If my friend never had an appleid, and tried to reguster for one on icloud or app store etc, why is it failing since theee is no mention having the macbook air. Unless locked out because initially use the macbook air to try ?
Thankx
Ron

Last edited:
Reaction score
Besides removing the MacBook Air from your devices list, you may need to go into your account on the MacBook Air and sign out of Find My under the iCloud section. If you are not going to be using the MacBook Air at all, it may be a good idea to sign out of iCloud as well.
I still have idevices and macs. Are you saying on the macbook air, name sure i sign out of icloud?

Reaction score
If you still have access to the MacBook Air, sign into your user account on it and then go to Settings and sign out of iCloud.

Apple may not allow a New AppleID to be created if there is one already setup on the MacBook Air.

Ask a Question