Apache, PHP, mySql, and PHPMyAdmin won't work

Reaction score
I have tried time and time again to make Apache, PHP, mySql, and PHPMyAdmin work on this new iMac, but nothing works. I've read LOTS of tutorials that tell me how, and follow them exactly, but nothing happens. I ran a site on my Windoze machines for years (Apache, PHP, mySql, and PHPMyAdmin), and had no problems.

My site is http://www.sq1bbs.com, and I would be tickled to even see the It Works!! page appear.

Everything is where it's supposed to be, Apache is running, but still nothing.

Please!!

Help!!
Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X - El Capitan 10.11.2?
-Did you purchase and install OS X Server? It is much easier to get those services up and running that way.
-Is the iMac being used as aa Internet server? If so, where is it located - at your home, or in a data center/server room?
-Do you have a static IP address for the iMac from your ISP?

We'll see if we can help.

C

Reaction score
-Which version of OS X - El Capitan 10.11.2?
-Did you purchase and install OS X Server? It is much easier to get those services up and running that way.
-Is the iMac being used as aa Internet server? If so, where is it located - at your home, or in a data center/server room?
-Do you have a static IP address for the iMac from your ISP?
We'll see if we can help.
C
No, I did not purchase OS X Server. Right now, my budget is -0.00.
The Mac is my own personal machine (at home), but I handle the church website and need to be able to look at it as I make changes-that's why it's loaded on my PC as a stand alone site (that only I know about).
I do not have a static address, but the site that I bought my domain name from has a Dynamic DNS client I use to direct traffic over to my site.

Reaction score
It just dawned on me: I have an old G5 tower in the shop (out back) and I've used it as a web server before. It has OS X 10.5.2, and actually runs O.K. Maybe I could continue it's usefulness.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OS X Server (El Capitan) is only $19.99, even though I know your budget is $0. It would make life much easier for you to get those services up and running.

Your G5 idea may work as well...but you'll be giving up some things, as that version of OS X has very old versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL, which would probably require an older version of PHPMyAdmin.

I checked your DNS via intoDNS and everything there looks good, as long as it is pointing to your Mac's IP address and your router is setup to allow the needed ports to be open and not blocked. That should be OK, if you haven't changed those settings since you ran the website on a PC before this, and as long as the Mac's internal IP is the same that the PC's was.

That would lead us to either the router not pointing the web traffic to the correct internal IP address, Apache/PHP/MySQL not setup/running properly on the Mac, or the website files not being in the proper folder on the Mac.

-Can you see the website in your browser locally by typing in the Mac's IP address in the URL bar?
-Where did you put the website files n the Mac - in your user's Sites folder, or Macintosh HD > Library >WebServer > Documents?
-Are you using PHPMyAdmin to verify things PHP and MySQL are up and running?
-Did you do any custom configuration of Apache, and how do you know it is up and running?

C

Reaction score
-Can you see the website in your browser locally by typing in the Mac's IP address in the URL bar?

-Where did you put the website files n the Mac - in your user's Sites folder, or Macintosh HD > Library >WebServer > Documents?

-Are you using PHPMyAdmin to verify things PHP and MySQL are up and running?

-Did you do any custom configuration of Apache, and how do you know it is up and running?

The router assigns an address to the Mac. I have the router to forward port 80 to the iMac (for test purposes), but when I type in the address the router has assigned, (192.168.1.19) it tells me that I am forbidden to see the site. Other than that, it just about kills any other questions.

So, I'm still running the site on the PC since I've got work to do on it this week.

The configuration for the PC is pretty simple - PHP and cgi enabled. Right now, the httpd.conf on the Mac is back to default, but I don't know if it OR PHP are running. I went into terminal and typed 'apachectl start', but nothing occurred in response.'. The web documents are in BOTH Library/WebServer/Documents and the Sites folder.

Reaction score
Hi GORDON,

Can you provide a screenshot which figure out the problem more clearly. Even I have also face the similar problem when I try to start it first time, but be able to solve it after some time.
Also, tell your system configuration like version of OS, apache and MySQL version etc.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
when I type in the address the router has assigned, (192.168.1.19) it tells me that I am forbidden to see the site. Other than that, it just about kills any other questions.
That sounds like Apache or DNS isn't configured properly or even running.

Honestly,as I stated before, it is MUCH easier to configure and run these services with the OS X Server app. I can understand and appreciate your budget issue.

Maybe this site can help: Get Apache, MySQL, PHP and phpMyAdmin working on OSX 10.11 El Capitan

C

Ask a Question