Am I the only one who uses Safari over chrome and firefox?

Reaction score
What would I use in place of Adobe Flash? I'm a computer dummy :)

For well over 90% of the sites I visit, I do not need it at all (I use Google Chrome, and sometimes Opera). Also, just make sure you keep up to date with whatever browser you use.

However, given you are running OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), it will be a challenge to obtain the latest version of any browser. Each browser is constantly adding more useful features, including other means to handle sites that supposedly "require" Adobe Flash Player.

Any reason why you can't upgrade to a newer Mac OS? And what exact iMac model do you have?

Reaction score
Safari, I use Google Chrome as back up. That is rare. I recently had a few problems. About a year ago I could not
apply for a job except from a PC. The recession has hit many friends/families so hard that they use their phones for getting on the internet I did not apply because it is a job that would require communication through my computer! Also my GP only uses IE. I live close to college town so I have no trouble using Safari.

Reaction score
Safari, I use Google Chrome as back up. That is rare. I recently had a few problems. About a year ago I could not
apply for a job except from a PC. The recession has hit many friends/families so hard that they use their phones for getting on the internet I did not apply because it is a job that would require communication through my computer! Also my GP only uses IE. I live close to college town so I have no trouble using Safari.

Man, that is so prehistoric, in that you could not use your Mac, via a browser, for applying for a position! Also, not sure what GP means (General Practitioner?), but only using IE is again prehistoric.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, now I'm really feeling stupid.

I have Adobe Flash on my iMac; I apply all the updates as they come along; but I have no idea if I'm actually using it anywhere!

I use Firefox as my browser.

Am I using Adobe Flash?

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm really feeling stupid.

I have Adobe Flash on my iMac; I apply all the updates as they come along; but I have no idea if I'm actually using it anywhere!

I use Firefox as my browser.

Am I using Adobe Flash?

Don't feel stupid! I thought it would be easy to determine that, but it's not so simple!

For the 3 browsers I use (Firefox rarely anymore, if ever; Google Chrome, which I use over 90% of the time; Opera, for the remaining 10%), each of them have a way of checking. They are:

1. Google Chrome - Extensions
2. Firefox - Add-Ons
3. Opera - Extensions

I did not see it there, in any of those places. Yet, when I used EasyFind to search for "Flash Player" on my Mac Mini (the machine I am entering this on), it found a number of such "files". So, I was able to remove all but 2 of those, and right now, Google Chrome is working fine.

Typically, if you go to a site that "needs/requires" Adobe Flash Player, it will tell you that, and in most instances. not allow you to see the content. However, I've been noticing that more and more, even when such a message appears, I can still see the content.

Again, don't feel stupid! On the contrary, I'm glad you raised this, as I have got rid of all but two files "connected" with Flash Player. For some reason, the last two are required by the Mac OS (that is the message I got when I tried to remove them).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chrome finds the first place on my Desktop. faster. got extensions and smart user-friendly interface. every new update turns the browser faster and friendlier than before.
firefox does the same as well however i find it a bit slower. updates are good. recent extension gives the option to use a secured vpn as well. but somewhere down i feel it turns a bit complicated. the naive users need to be targetted.
safari is yet slower than the rest.
chrome takes a great lead.

Reaction score
Hmm, I did not know that Firefox has an option to use a secured VPN. I know that Opera has that. By the way, Opera is another excellent browser to use. It looks a lot like Google Chrome, but now with the new version of Firefox, it is #3 as far as speed is concerned (Chrome being #1, and Firefox #2).

Reaction score
I use Safari 90% of the time. I also use Google Chrome for Google-related sites and those which require Flash, as I do not have and will not install Adobe Flash on any of my Macs.

C
Cory, just curious. Why do you have an aversion to installing Flash on your Macs? I have Safari set to alert me when a website wants/needs Flash and I can activate it only for that session. The only worry I have are occasional pop-up requests that I need to upgrade Flash, but they're fraudulent. I only upgrade Flash directly from Adobe's website.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi Allen,

My aversion is due to several factors:

-Being in IT, it is a daily nuisance that I have to deal with on multiple fronts - PC/Mac support, installation/update issues, education and other websites that haven't updated to more modern web standards, etc.
-The constant security risks introduced into computers with Flash installed.
-Major browsers disabling/blocking Flash due to those security risks.
-Adobe's announcement that Flash will be end-of-life in 2020.

I am not saying that Flash is a totally bad piece of software, and I know some folks never have an issue. But, the amount of work and attention needed to support end-users for aging, outdated software technology far outweighs the benefits.

;)

C

Reaction score
Hi Allen,

My aversion is due to several factors:

-Being in IT, it is a daily nuisance that I have to deal with on multiple fronts - PC/Mac support, installation/update issues, education and other websites that haven't updated to more modern web standards, etc.
-The constant security risks introduced into computers with Flash installed.
-Major browsers disabling/blocking Flash due to those security risks.
-Adobe's announcement that Flash will be end-of-life in 2020.

I am not saying that Flash is a totally bad piece of software, and I know some folks never have an issue. But, the amount of work and attention needed to support end-users for aging, outdated software technology far outweighs the benefits.

;)

C
Thanks for the reply, Cory. I've never had any issues with Flash (except the occasional pop-ups from fraudulent sources wanting me to upgrade Flash. Did that once, and I was screwed. Thankfully, Norton Security saved my bacon, hence, I view ALL such invitations as BS and will only upgrade Flash when Adobe tells me I need to.)

I have heard several nondescript complaints about Flash over the years, but no one ever listed any specifics.

I did all the IT work at my last job before retiring, but me and the Owner (She Who Must Be Obeyed) were the only ones who ever accessed the Internet for anything other than e-mail. The office was a mixed environment of Macs and PCs, so I usually didn't have that many IT tasks to perform except for the d****d PCs.

What, if anything, will replace Flash's role? I'd always wished that QuickTime would simply handle the stuff that Flash does/did.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Many of the bigger websites, like YouTube, Apple, and others have already rewritten their sites to support things like JavaScript, CSS, and HTML5. They do most of the same things as Flash, but without the need for a separate software install.

Thoughts on Flash

Steve wrote that forward-seeing piece back in 2010.

C

Reaction score
As I have said, I use only Safari. One big reason is SECURITY. I will never trust the Google browser. Google gives away a great deal of our personal information. I have a generic name. I have never had my identity stolen but, I have had about 3-4 credit card numbers stolen.( 2 on the internet.) We are very careful. Of course there are so many ads on any other browser it drives me mad. Everyone have a good day!

Reaction score
I've NEVER had issues with Google Chrome (nor Opera). Of course, I am extra careful. Safari is just too slow.

Ask a Question