All my browsers are crashing!!

Reaction score
I am running OS X 10.4.10 on my Powerbook G4. My DSL is working fine, as it is all good on my housemate's computer, and as I can chat fine on my own computer.

Those things said, now I can get to the problem. All my browsers are crashing! This has been going on for about a month now. Firefox, Camino, Explorer, and Safari all are crashing. I usually get about five minutes of using the browser before it crashes. Sometimes, though, I can for instance watch a Google video for a good hour or so, without the browser crashing.

At first they would just suddenly quit without warning and the window would suddenly vanish. In the last few days, it has been more like they usually stall and then are in the "Application not responding" mode. There is no apparent pattern to what I am doing at the time of the crashes. I can simply be checking email, simply be looking at a text-based site, looking at a more complex site, it doesn't matter, they all will crash. I have tried clearing my cookies and my cache, and for a little while it seemed to help, but now they are all crashing again. At first I thought it was just Firefox, so I dropped my various add-ons, got rid of all my extras, even redownloaded the app, to no avail. It still crashes all the time, and the other ones do as well (I just thought it was Firefox at first, because that is my browser of choice, so once I started having problems with it, I discovered the other ones were crashing as well).

I have done the Disk Utility "verify disk" and it found no issues. None of my other apps are quitting, except on occasion a Dashboard widget will quit on me. I have nearly 5 gigs free on my hard drive. I do not think it would be a virtual memory issue, as everything was working totally fine about a month ago, with no difference in how I use my computer, and all of a sudden, the browsers started crashing. I regularly would be able to have six or eight apps open at the same time, including an app like Photoshop, without running into any of them crashing on me (I still can do this, with many apps open at once, and all of them are fine except my browsers.)

I don't know what else to try, and needless to say, it is driving me insane. I had to type this in a text editor, and will now copy and paste it, as I couldn't get a browser to stay open and functioning long enough to type this all down. Please! Any suggestions or help would be entirely welcome and appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Well if it were me...a month of problems is a long time....back up all your important data (just in case) and then do an Archive and Install !

Half a day or so of reseting it up and life will be back to normal !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question