Problem with left-click behaviour in browsers

Reaction score
Hello

Something strange has just started happening with my Mac. When I left-click a link in a browser, instead of opening the link it downloads the file. This happens in both Safari and Chrome (Safari downloads the target file straightaway whereas Chrome opens the 'Save As' box).

If I hold down the function key it behaves normally, and opens the link.

I've searched through Preferences and can't find a setting that might relate to this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Daviec

(MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.4)

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to Mac-Help.com!

You can single-click anywhere on your trackpad, so there is no "left click" technically, it's just a regular click. You can personalize your trackpad under System Preferences, then click on Trackpad to see the options. (It even has a little video playing showing the features.)

I'm guessing you are double clicking, or tapping with two fingers, to open or download links... I don't know much about "right-clicking" if that's an issue, since I've only had Macs, but I read that you can "right-click" by holding down the control key while clicking, but I don't know how up-to-date that is for your computer, it might be easier than that now.

Hope this helps... let us know if it works or doesn't work out!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Turns out the problem was a sticky Fn key. Have removed and cleaned it and now all working fine.

Cheers

daviec75

Ask a Question