After putting in correct password for user login, the computer stalls.

Reaction score
I also can't boot using any OSX startup disks to reset the password. The only thing I can get to is the System Preferences pushing Control F6, but I am unable to reset the login page because it again stalls. Can anyone help?

Powerbook G4
memory 256 MB
OsX 10.1.3

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

can I ask 'why' you can't use the OS X startup disks, as this is probably the only way to fix this problem...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

thanks for your reply, I don't know why the start up disk doesn't work but I can start the process of reloading the OS and part way it won't allow me to go any further. I can only get the first 3 steps completed In atempting to load various OS systems with my father, I now have misplaced the start up disk. I will look for it and give you more specifics.

Reaction score
Ok, with a thourough search I found the OSX. It appears that the same problem occurs when attampted to use the OSX and the OS9 start up disks, and that is that no destination is offered. I have attempted to use the OSX start up disk to reset the password but I get "may not have permission to ..." or " a general failure has occured.

Again in attempting to reinstall using the disk I can go through the steps: 1. intro, 2. Read me, 3. licensing, but during the 4. destination, only the start up disk is given as destination which of course I can't select because in is "read only"

Attempts to start up using "safe mode" do not work.

Using the Installer Disk Utility will only allow me to verify and not repair
"invalid key length is listed in red and it tells me that "The volume Hard Disk needs to be repaired"

Finally whenever my computer starts up a globe icon shows (i don't remember it being there before). Following the globe a file with the OS icon shows alternating flashing with a "?" Any ideas?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

the "Invalid Key Length" generally means that your hard drive is either corrupt or in need of replacement !

Try starting from the OS X install disk...but don't do the install, go to the Menubar and select Disk Utility and then reformat the drive, if it lets you...

Then Reboot and try the install again. This will however wipe the drive of all the 'stuff' that was on it !

If Disk Utility doesn't show the drive, then you can either purchase Disk Warrior, and let that attempt to fix the drive or install a new drive !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

Thanks for the help. I took it to my local Mac store genious bar and they couldn't do anything. It does appear to be a corrupt hard drive. They were not able to repair it, so it looks like a purchase of a new computer or a new hard drive is in my near future. Again thanks for all the help..

Robert

Ask a Question