Advice on Air Book vs Mac Book to do light editing on photos

Reaction score
I need to replace my 2010 27" iMac. I have thousands of photos. I want to download Canva and do light editing and create my own photo books.

I purchased a Lucie 2tb external hard drive and have the techs with Geek Squad putting all the photos from the iMac onto the external hd.

I'm unsure of how I would view my photos on the hd and whether my albums created in Photos would come over on the hd as folders.

I have very limited knowledge of Finder, but plan to learn. I'm just unsure what type of power or storage I would need to purchase in a laptop.

Thank you for any guidance!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

You can run your Photos Library from an external drive: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

If the entire Photos Library is moved intact to the external, all of the albums and other data will be the same as it was. If they just move the individual photos to a folder on the external, you would need to create a new Photos Library, import those photos, and the albums would need to be recreated.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
As regards your question Air Book vs Mac Book, I assume you are about to buy a new Mac laptop. Rest assured that whichever you buy, MacBook Pro (MBP) or MacBook Air (MBA), either will be more than able to handle your photo editing needs and the app you mention; Canva.
This is assuming you are talking about "new" devices.
The current M3 15" MBA has received rave reviews and the current series of M3 silicon processors are the fastest Apple has ever made. Even the stock standard 8GB RAM goes a lot further than the same in the Intel processors.
My wife just bought the M2 15" MBA and it is fantastic.

Ask a Question