Adobe Reader question

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone have any advice about Adobe Reader on a Mac. Someone told me not to install it but he's not an expert, so I'm wondering what everyones experience might be... I keep getting Adobe messages to install the new version and I'm not sure if I should install it. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I personally don't have Acrobat Reader installed, as Mac OS X has PDF capability built-in. In addition, the Preview app can read PDFs.

Since it is prompting you, you already have a version installed. It checks for updates in the background. If you haven't had an issues, I would go ahead and update it the next time it prompts you. If you have had issues with PDF files, especially within Safari, I would uninstall and use the built-in PDF capabilities of OS X.

C

Reaction score
I keep getting Adobe messages to install the new version
Thats one reason not to install it.

It old bloated software that patches itself into your system and is hard to get rid of.

It runs very slow compared to Preview.

There are very very few reasons to install it and your Mac will run better without it.

Ask a Question