Adobe Flash

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Power PC G5 running OS X 10.4 on Firefox.
I can't play my games as Adobe now does not support the Power PC anymore. I've tried downloading many flash versions, but I only get the popup that says I need to upgrad my flash application to play the game.
Can you help? Is there anything I can do?
Thanks,
Chickie

karazelle

Reaction score
I am sorry, but as far as I can ascertain, Flash 10.1 is the last version of Flash supported on PPC, and when the developer of the Flash app flags their app to need the later version, I fear there isn't much to do.

Now, just be aware that there is a "supposed" hack out that basically takes components from Flash 10.3 and puts inside the 10.1 installer. This hack does not work, and you will be able to confirm this by checking the version number of Flash after running the hack, it's still 10.1. So as far as I can tell, you won't get further. The ONLY option as far as I can see now is to get VirtualBox or Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac and run a virtual Windows installation of XP and patch that, but it won't be fast.

I think I would save up for a new Mac if I were you...

Reaction score
Oh darn! I was afraid of that! I can't afford a new Mac ;(
It's so annoying when you are forced to buy new hardware when the old one still works.
Thanks for replying so soon. I appreciate it.

karazelle

Reaction score
Have you tried if you get the same error in Safari?
Also, make sure you actually did update to 10.1 :)

Reaction score
I think I tried it in Safari, but I will try again... thanks karazelle

Thanks Kaveman.. I will look into the MacMini.. is that like an external thingie that you use with your own monitor and keyboard?

Reaction score
MacMini/

Yes, while it is nice to eck every last cycle out of our old computers the advancement made once Apple crossed to the Intel chips is amazing. For $US699 + the price of a monitor (you have a mouse and kb), there is really no comparison. New OS X, new iLife and fast reliable hardware.

The G5 is past its use by date, Apple is no longer maintaining any backwards compatibility and they do just stop working or worse the HDs just give up the ghost. Often its not about affording a new one, but what would you loose when it dies.

IMO the G5s were the most problematic computers Apple ever made. Think about it, they made Apple change to Intel;-)

Reaction score
I just took a quick look at the MacMini and it looks amazing. I didn't know about it until now. I don't understand the workings of a computer, but I always loved my G5. Looks like it's time to turn it in though, and get with 2011..lol.
Thanks so much for the info and your help. I was worried I would have to go the PC route.. aaahhh.....

Ask a Question