Adobe Elements 10

Reaction score
As a keen photographer I have recently installed Adobe Elements 10 and Adobe Premiere
I have noticed just after I start The Elements organiser my macbook pro 17"(one month old, mountain lion) the cooling fan kicks in and runs up to full speed and stays there. When I open the elements editor I am really running slow and often freezes up, a force quit is required some times. The system comes up with an error report that it states has sent to Apple.
Sounds good to me that a report has arrived at Apple if they react to it.
I was wondering if any other members are experiencing this issue. Seems like an Adobe software issue to me but then again I am in no way way up to speed in the Apple way of doing things after years using various windows packages.
I may add I have time machine and back up HDDs
I have had Elements running while posting this thread and have just shut it down and the cooling fan has wound down and stopped.
Some 34,000 +images
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8 (12A269)

Thanks guys

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Some apps like Adobe Elements will cause a large demand on the processor when creating/displaying thumbnails of a VERY large image collection. AE 10 is officially supported from 10.5.8 through 10.7 on Adobe's website: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 | Tech specs.

If it is freezing completely and crashing, it may be a software related issue that will be addressed in an update from Adobe. It can also be a hardware issue - HD, RAM, etc. If it is the only app having this issue, it is software. It could easily be related to the large size of your image library.

The reports sent to Apple aren't actively monitored.

You could add a test user on the Mac and run AE there. Add some images and see if the fan issue persists.

C

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply Cory.
What you say makes a lot of sense and of what I see Im inclined to think its the large size of my picture catalog and some impatience from me.
It is the only app that has this issue,which as you say suggests a software problem.
Its still unnerving to hear that fan blasting out hot air and my mac getting hotter and hotter and slower and slower and then as soon as I exist the app all returns to normal.
I might start by reducing my catalog size by removing second rate images.
I have them backed up on two HDDs
Thanks again for very useful response.

Robert.

Reaction score
Update.
Last evening I run both organiser and editor and for what ever reason the mac was running better and cooler. Not sure what I have done.
I shall monitor and see how it goes.
Thanks again for help and tips Cory. I may still pick up on your suggestions.

Ask a Question