Adobe Acrobat Reader

Reaction score
Cannot read PDFs! just get wheel of death. tried to deleted old Adobe apps, re-downloading from Adobe, etc. This is a huge problem! Help!

Reaction score
Cannot read PDFs! just get wheel of death. tried to deleted old Adobe apps, re-downloading from Adobe, etc. This is a huge problem! Help!
Is this happening with ALL .pdf files? Have you tried using other PDF readers like Preview, Skim, Libre Office, etc.? If you are partial to Adobe Acrobat Reader, how are you deleting the file before downloading a new copy? You need to first delete other files associated with the app. I would use AppCleaner to accomplish this before running a new copy.

It will also be helpful if you were to specify your macOS setup—what kind of Mac, what version of macOS, etc.

Reaction score
Is this happening with ALL .pdf files? Have you tried using other PDF readers like Preview, Skim, Libre Office, etc.? If you are partial to Adobe Acrobat Reader, how are you deleting the file before downloading a new copy? You need to first delete other files associated with the app. I would use AppCleaner to accomplish this before running a new copy.

It will also be helpful if you were to specify your macOS setup—what kind of Mac, what version of macOS, etc.
mac book pro 2020 Monterey 12.3.1
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is the one I'm having the problem with. but don't see an uninstaller to get rid of it. I did just open an older file with w/just Reader but anything new coming in from staff can't open---just wheel of death. Not partial to Adobe. will try Preview I guess...

Reaction score
mac book pro 2020 Monterey 12.3.1
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is the one I'm having the problem with. but don't see an uninstaller to get rid of it. I did just open an older file with w/just Reader but anything new coming in from staff can't open---just wheel of death. Not partial to Adobe. will try Preview I guess...
AppCleaner is a freeware utility for totally erasing apps from your system, including extensions, plists, etc.

There are numerous PDF readers out there. Preview comes with macOS. Acrobat Reader DC is probably the last one I would try. But I do use Acrobat DC (the paid version) a lot. I keep a Reader version only to keep me familiar with how it works because most of my clients use it. If you decide to download AppCleaner, I’m confident that once you have purged Acrobat Reader from your system and reinstalled it, it should work properly. To use AppCleaner, simply launch it and then drag the Acrobat Reader file into the open AppCleaner window. It will list all the associated files and you can delete them.

If, after all of that, you experience the beachballing again, it might be time to consider reinstalling macOS Monterey.

Ask a Question