Is it possible to merge Adobe Acrobat with Microsoft Office in MacOS?

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a windows guy who's been thinking about switching to Mac. On windows, when you install both Office and Adobe Acrobat, the two are merged automatically. In office, when you want to save a file, you have the option of saving it as a PDF file with extra options that the Office itself doesn't have. For instance, you can restrict editing on the PDF file that would be saved.
If you have these two programs on your Mac device, could you please check to see if this is possible on Mac as well?

45679.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I personally don't use Microsoft Office, but I would bet that the same integration would be available in the latest Microsoft Office/Acrobat Pro versions for Mac.

Hopefully another member that has them will chime in.

Be well.

C

Reaction score
Hi stanleystf

I run Adobe Acrobat Pro DC [Continuous release | Version 2021.011.20039] on my M1 MacBook Pro under macOS Monterey version 12.3.1.

I do not believe there is the same depth of integration between Adobe and macOS as between Adobe and Windows.
E.g., all Export To options refer to Windows, i.e.,

Microsoft Word
> Word Document
> Word 97 - 2003 Document

Spreadsheet
> Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet
> XML Spreadsheet 2003

Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation

The last Export To option is relevant to both OSs:
> JPEG
> JPEG 2000
> TIFF
> PNG

macOS deals with everything thrown at its Office Group of Apps via Pages [MS Word], Numbers [MS Excel] and Keynote [MS Powerpoint] plus Text Edit, etc.

IMO macOS is not well serviced by PDF Apps, my favourite was sold to a Group who are clearly disinterested in providing a realistic customer service, that is the reason for deploying Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Despite the later I still have occasional use for two other PDF Apps, and have no reason to anticipate changing my MO if the OS was changed.

Being frustrated by the unavailability of Features, in Pages and Numbers, I also run Microsoft Office 365 and found to my dismay some of the items needed simply could not produce promised results despite lengthy input from MS Staff.
The sad reality is if you want the best of both worlds you have to pay for them both, but this will NOT provide perfection until the Developers get their act together.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi stanleystf

I run Adobe Acrobat Pro DC [Continuous release | Version 2021.011.20039] on my M1 MacBook Pro under macOS Monterey version 12.3.1.

I do not believe there is the same depth of integration between Adobe and macOS as between Adobe and Windows.
E.g., all Export To options refer to Windows, i.e.,

Microsoft Word
> Word Document
> Word 97 - 2003 Document

Spreadsheet
> Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet
> XML Spreadsheet 2003

Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation

The last Export To option is relevant to both OSs:
> JPEG
> JPEG 2000
> TIFF
> PNG

macOS deals with everything thrown at its Office Group of Apps via Pages [MS Word], Numbers [MS Excel] and Keynote [MS Powerpoint] plus Text Edit, etc.

IMO macOS is not well serviced by PDF Apps, my favourite was sold to a Group who are clearly disinterested in providing a realistic customer service, that is the reason for deploying Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Despite the later I still have occasional use for two other PDF Apps, and have no reason to anticipate changing my MO if the OS was changed.

Being frustrated by the unavailability of Features, in Pages and Numbers, I also run Microsoft Office 365 and found to my dismay some of the items needed simply could not produce promised results despite lengthy input from MS Staff.
The sad reality is if you want the best of both worlds you have to pay for them both, but this will NOT provide perfection until the Developers get their act together.
Is it possible that you should install a separate add-in for it? Something like this:

Also, is it possible that I can find another PDF program that would integrate well with Microsoft office?

Reaction score
MS Office 365 appears as separate Apps, on my macOS, rather than under the banner of MS Office.

The Apps include Microsoft:

Excel
OneNote
Outlook
PowerPoint
Teams
Word

Your ScreenShot appears to show a PowerPoint screen, there is nothing like it in PowerPoint on my macOS.

In the Microsoft Apps mentioned above there are no options to Save As..... PDF.
I have only checked Excel, PowerPoint and Word:

Excel and Word have only the option to:

File > Share > Send PDF

PowerPoint has the options:

Send PDF [as above]
or
File > Export > [under File Format there is an option to choose] PDF

I used the Link supplied in your message but my Log In [saved in my Password Manager so no typos involved] failed and I do not have time to mess with getting this sorted. It has been sorted several times by mother MS seems to get her knickers in a twist many time when I try to Log In. This time around I did Log In and accepted but then was requested to Log In again. My previous experience with running MS Office on macOS resulted in me getting a refund because of the hassle created by MS Security.
If you can avoid the mess outlined above it looks as if it may work similar to your present system.
It does state that it works with Excel, PowerPoint and Word, but you would have to suck it and see to be sure.

As I mentioned previously macOS is not well provided for regarding PDFs, there are plenty of Apps but it seems you would have to try them to find out if they fit the bill for you. To get ALL the results I need 3 separate Apps have to be used.

Reaction score
Try, try, try again - it sometimes works
Got in, downloaded, installed, Set Up⌘⌘⌘ as directed BUT in Word > Insert > Add-ins > [option] My Add-ins.... is GREYED OUT.
NB. ⌘⌘⌘ Excel, PowerPoint and Word had to be individually confirmed [or whatever the term was (I am getting tired)] to use this Add In.
Next I tried Excel > Insert >Add-ins > [option] My Add-ins.... > a new window opened requesting me the Sign In [again] BUT BIG PROBLEM mother MS has given be a NEW eMAIL ADDRESS that I definitely do NOT know and have NEVER agreed to. Being no option to correct the eMail Address clearly filling in any Password does not work.

I like pluses, at least the above spells out actions you need to take IF you are not constantly running the gauntlet with mother M.

Ask a Question