Admin problem with APFS format

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finally an owner of a Macbook Pro M1 and have 2 APFS volume groups
Monterey and Ventura were successfully installed. So I can start the respective operating system. I have the same problem on both systems - I want to change the access rights of the internal hard drive, for example because I want to create a folder on the hard drive, after entering the password I get: >>The action could not be completed because you did not have the necessary access rights<<. So I don't seem to be the admin, even though I'm logged in as admin and the password entry is successful.

I noticed the following via Disk Utility:
When I go to the information for the respective volume, I notice that the currently active operating system says >> no << in the line: Owner activated, but on the other Volume it shows >> yes <<, normal?

Is this due to the APFS formatting and “Normal?”, I can never access the hard drive directly?

Thank you for help and information in advance!
Berni

Reaction score
Hi Berni, and welcome to the forum.

On both of the OS's you cannot create a folder at the root level of the volume the root level is read only, so you will need to go into a nested folder.

If you have the same user name and password, you should be able to create a folder in your home folder on the other volume.

If not, you can always create a folder and put files in the /Users/Shared. This is a read/write folder.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finally an owner of a Macbook Pro M1 and have 2 APFS volume groups
Monterey and Ventura were successfully installed. So I can start the respective operating system. I have the same problem on both systems - I want to change the access rights of the internal hard drive, for example because I want to create a folder on the hard drive, after entering the password I get: >>The action could not be completed because you did not have the necessary access rights<<. So I don't seem to be the admin, even though I'm logged in as admin and the password entry is successful.

I noticed the following via Disk Utility:
When I go to the information for the respective volume, I notice that the currently active operating system says >> no << in the line: Owner activated, but on the other Volume it shows >> yes <<, normal?

Is this due to the APFS formatting and “Normal?”, I can never access the hard drive directly?

Thank you for help and information in advance!
Berni
This could be related to permissions issues when switching startup drives. I have six different startup systems on my Mac, spread between the internal SSD and two external NVMe SSDs, from Monterey to Sonoma, current and beta versions. If I shutdown and reboot holding down the power button to bring up the startup drives, selecting one other than the one I was running from last, permissions issues come up. So instead, I use System Settings… > General > Startup Disk and select the one I want to start up. macOS will then ask for validation of the user and you have to enter your password. More than one if you have multiple users. Finally you have to enter your Mac password again before you can restart. Try it.

Ask a Question