Active x - Developer Tab

Reaction score
Hello again.

Can someone please tell me what Active x is? What Active x does ? And how to get it on my machine ?

I have found the Developer tab and checked the box, what does it enable me to do please ?

regards

Mrs Blobby

Reaction score
Hi,

Active X is a old windows thing, so you would need to boot camp or run parallels.
It is a Microsoft-created technology that enables different software applications to share information and functionality. ActiveX only works with Microsoft applications like Word, Excel, Internet Explorer and PowerPoint, and will only work on a computer running the Windows operating system.

Can I ask why you want it?

You defiantly do not mean X 11 which is in or utilities folder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 08.10.23.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 08.10.23.png
    505.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Reaction score
:)
Hello Oldscribe,

Thank-you for replying.

The reason I asked about Active X', was that every time I try and open up a PowerPoint with macro's made on Windows on my mac it flags up a box saying Active X is not supported. And I don't know what it means or what its for.

Perhaps that could be the reason why my tutor's PP made on a windows machine won't operate the macros, which I was so desperately trying to copy.

Please could you instruct me (o_O) on how and where to get 'boot camp or parallels' so that I could download them onto my machine and see if that would activate Windows PP on my mac, then I could copy the macro for my PP.

regards
Mrs Blobby

ps any ideas how to produce Macros/repel Macros ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

To add to oldscribe's comments - sounds like the PowerPoint presentation either has some video content or some interactive content.

Boot Camp is built-in to Mac OS X. Parallels in a third-party application. They both enable you to run Windows on your Mac. However, using either of these, you would have to purchase and install a retail copy of Windows AND a Windows version of Microsoft Office/PowerPoint. The cost would be at least a few hundred dollars/euros. Probably not worth it to simply run this presentation.

I would work with your tutor to get a copy of the presentation with the macros/ActiveX controls disabled. If you need to review the macros themselves, then you would need to work on a friend's PC, or spend the money for the Boot Camp/Parallels/Windows route.

C

Reaction score
Dear People Thanks for responses,

To cut a long story short.

I have been using this mac for about a week, the work I am supposed to do is all on powerpoint windows 2010.
I have to create an interactive pp for children as part of my college project.

And I have to put in Macros/repel-Macros to (drag and drop, drag and return). I couldn't access the template the tutor gave and Active X kepts popping up.

So now have managed to create a pp in a windows 2013, 8.1, machine the only thing is the one macro in the presentation of drag and drop I have in the windows pp won't work on my mac, and still haven't found the vba for a repel macro.
thanks for your response.

Incidentally - British Pound £ -:)

Thanks anyway any suggestion and ideas gratefully welcome

Mrs Blobby

Ask a Question