a quick hello

Reaction score
Hello,

Glad to be part of the community. I've been a Mac fan for years, and I'm currently holding a MacBook Pro. I heard from friends that Mac Help is sometimes more responsive and supportive than the official Apple Discussions :)

Looking forward to exchanging questions and answers with you.

Reaction score
Welcome, Jess. Yes, numerous knowledgeable folks here will try and help in any way they can, and usually in a "quick" fashion. It is important, though, that when one makes a post about an issue, the following information needs to be included, at a minimum:

1. Exact Mac model one has.

2. Exact Mac OS being used.

3. Making backups to an external device?

4. Been doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

The more information one can provide, the better.

Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. Somehow I just saw this alert popping up on the right corner (learning curve for using the forum ;-/)

"honestone", I appreciate your tips.

Reaction score
Welcome from here too Jess. I'm finding this forum very helpful too. I also have tips!

1) Never try to boot your Mac from the bottom of your swimming pool. So many newbies forget this important warning, it really should be a sticky here on the forum.

2) If you're using your Mac laptop while riding a horse beyond wifi range, always remember to connect a really long ethernet cable first.

3) Make backups of your backups of your backups of your backups of your backups until your entire house is so filled with hard drives you have to sleep out in the yard. And then backup your yard of course.

4) Remember, your Mac is a user friendly consumer device that "just works" and it's specifically designed to make the awesome power of computing available to the average non-technical man or woman in the street. So obviously, you should always type any obscure Unix commands you come across on the Net in to the OSX Terminal just to see if something cool might happen.

5) Be sure to install Windows on your Mac so that you can continue to have the same horrible experiences that caused you to switch to the Mac in the first place. Also, this will allow the Ukrainian mob to automagically update any software they have kindly donated to your computing experience.

6) Always address other members of the forum by their distinguished honorary titles. As example, I am known as His Flatulence Sri Baba Bozo, The Founder Of Bozoism The Next Great World Religion. And of course we need to know your honorary title too.

7) If you're still reading this list, consult a Mac based online psychiatrist to uncover why you no longer have a life. You probably just need to reset your PRAM which can be done by pressing eleven of your fingers on your laptop keyboard while sneezing loudly.

8) If you voted for Donald Trump, never use your Mac to read anything I have to say on that subject. Nuff said.

9) While in the bathtub with your Mac, try to quietly ask yourself whether Steve Jobs was a digital messiah, or an agent of Satan sent to suck us forever in to these stupid little screens.

10) Finally, and this is important, always ignore geezer hippies who think they are being hilarious with their Mac because the truth is they smoked way too much weed back in the sixties, and now being in their own sixties, are experiencing the onset of hysterical dementia, a regrettably embarrassing condition which no iApp from Apple seems to be able to cure.

Just follow the ten simple steps above, and you're guaranteed to always have a wonderful Mac experience!

Reaction score
To add to what Ormon said above, Jess:

1. Do not pretend to live in a dream world, and expect Macs to just work. Like any other piece of hardware/equipment, it needs some TLC.

2. Don't "bash" Apple so much about some "flaws". I have yet to see one organization that is super perfect.

Reaction score
1. Do not pretend to live in a dream world, and expect Macs to just work. Like any other piece of hardware/equipment, it needs some TLC.

Correct, when Apple says that Macs "just work" don't live in a dream world and believe them, and....

2. Don't "bash" Apple so much about some "flaws". I have yet to see one organization that is super perfect.

... remember to never complain about the fact that Apple has just lied to you. Remember, whatever the problem, it's always your fault, and NEVER Apple's fault.

Reaction score
Correct, when Apple says that Macs "just work" don't live in a dream world and believe them, and....

I've got a bridge that I can sell you in Brooklyn, if you believe that.

... remember to never complain about the fact that Apple has just lied to you. Remember, whatever the problem, it's always your fault, and NEVER Apple's fault.

What the heck! I've got two such bridges I can sell you.

As they say, "A sucker is born every day". I guess that also applies to folks that have been around for quite some time. I guess they will never learn.

Reaction score
My Dear Honestone,

Please observe the passion with which you continually try to shift blame for the "dream world", from the Apple marketing department who invented that "dream world" and continually sells it, to the customer.

This "it's always the user's fault" mindset is classic Apple religion psychology, which was invented by the Apple marketing department.

Example. It's the Apple marketing department who year after year after year presents new versions of OSX as safe, easy and simple "it just works" for any Mac newbie to install, instead of telling the truth that it is beta software which requires care, skill, experience, backups etc.

You're a cool guy Honestone, I like you, and don't want to fight with you. If you will stop trying to sell this Jehovah's Witness Blind Believer Apple Religion stuff, I'll stop slapping it down when you do, and things will go a lot better for us.

Or, type whatever you want, and I'll systematically rip it to shreds every time you try to tell Mac users they are to blame for Apple's sins. Your call.

Reaction score
My Dear Honestone,

Please observe the passion with which you continually try to shift blame for the "dream world", from the Apple marketing department who invented that "dream world" and continually sells it, to the customer.

This "it's always the user's fault" mindset is classic Apple religion psychology, which was invented by the Apple marketing department.

Example. It's the Apple marketing department who year after year after year presents new versions of OSX as safe, easy and simple "it just works" for any Mac newbie to install, instead of telling the truth that it is beta software which requires care, skill, experience, backups etc.

You're a cool guy Honestone, I like you, and don't want to fight with you. If you will stop trying to sell this Jehovah's Witness Blind Believer Apple Religion stuff, I'll stop slapping it down when you do, and things will go a lot better for us.

Or, type whatever you want, and I'll systematically rip it to shreds every time you try to tell Mac users they are to blame for Apple's sins. Your call.

Yo Orrmo,

First of all, I do not respond well to threats at all. This is a discussion board, and as such, one can say what they want (in reason, of course), and respond accordingly.

Secondly, I have helped a number of folks here, and I will continue to do so. If you don't like the way I do that, then just go back and sit in the corner.

Third, your statement "instead of telling the truth that it is beta software which requires care, skill, experience, backups etc" makes absolutely no sense at all! While Apple is STILL developing software in beta, they do have strong, consistent warnings about using it. I myself stay away from using any beta software, but I have seen plenty of others that do, and by exercising common sense and extreme caution (again not in a dream world), they have few, if any, issues.

When Apple is done and releases a version to the general public, it is just common sense that one needs to do the following:

1. Have a clean system that one is upgrading from.

2. Have a recent backup to an external device.

3, Insure that any third party software one uses is compatible with the new OS BEFORE upgrading.

Apple does preach that, as do folks like me and others. And that is not a dream world. It is reality, plain and simple. Unfortunately, there are folks who will not take such sensible precautions, even when Apple tells them to.

It's unfortunate that you are the one that has this cynical, negative view of Apple (and I suspect other reputable companies), with little, if any, justification. Yes, Apple has its flaws, as does Toyota. But most reasonable folks do not b**ch about it, and they find sensible ways to deal with such flaws. If you don't like Apple much at all (which is obvious), then why stick with their machines? You do have alternatives.

So, it is unacceptable for you to threaten folks here. If you stop complaining so much about Apple, and stop expecting everything related to them is as simple as pressing a button, I will stop making "dream world" statements. We are here to exchange information, and it is best to do that in a mature, productive manner.

It's your call.

Reaction score
It would be informative if you post how you solved it, as it could be useful for others.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...this is now out of hand. Please refrain from personal attacks or threats, as it is not tolerated in this friendly, helpful environment.

In addition, this is not the proper thread to even have this discussion, as it was a new member's post saying hello.

C

Ask a Question