3rd party apps to transfer music?

Reaction score
I recently had to replace my iMac 27 with a new iMac 24 after a crash. Running Monterey 12.6. I was able to retrieve most things from Time Machine and an external hard drive but not my music.

I had ripped most of my CDs to the old Mac and was able to sync with my iPhone and iPod. So now my CDs are on the phone and pod but not the new computer. Apple prevents transferring from the phone to the desktop and Support's recommendation was to rip all the CDs again!

There is 3rd party software to do the transfer but it ain't easy. I downloaded the trial version of Syncios but it seems geared more to PCs. So here are my questions:
1. Is there a better software to use?
2. How do I navigate to the place on the iMac where the music files are?
3. Can I put all of the music on an external SSD and still access it through the Music app?

Thanks

Reaction score
I recently had to replace my iMac 27 with a new iMac 24 after a crash. Running Monterey 12.6. I was able to retrieve most things from Time Machine and an external hard drive but not my music.

I had ripped most of my CDs to the old Mac and was able to sync with my iPhone and iPod. So now my CDs are on the phone and pod but not the new computer. Apple prevents transferring from the phone to the desktop and Support's recommendation was to rip all the CDs again!

There is 3rd party software to do the transfer but it ain't easy. I downloaded the trial version of Syncios but it seems geared more to PCs. So here are my questions:
1. Is there a better software to use?
2. How do I navigate to the place on the iMac where the music files are?
3. Can I put all of the music on an external SSD and still access it through the Music app?

Thanks
I know what that’s like. I used to have hundreds of CDs ripped to my Mac and then loaded into iTunes. Somewhere along the way, the same thing happened to me—I think it was the transition from iTunes to Music. Not only were my ripped music affected, but all the audiobooks I downloaded from both Apple and Audible were also impacted.

The worst part about going from iTunes to Music (and Books) is that the programmers at Apple who did the transition were obviously not music/movie/book fans because, up to this day, what, about three years or more, they still don’t know the concept of alphabetizing titles. Articles are not supposed to determine alphabetization, so “A Good Year” should be in the G list, not A, “The Lord of the Rings” under L, not T.

Anyway, just venting. I haven’t solved my problem with audiobooks, but I’m managing fine because most of my audiobooks are from Audible, and I have the option of downloading them or just playing them online; but my music—I have moved everything to Amazon Music. I was able to add my CD library to my Amazon Music library, and I can access it from anywhere—iPhone, Mac, TV. If you have Amazon Prime, the number of “free” music available to you is amazing.

Ask a Question