SOS: Pls recommend 3rd party software for iPhone backup

Reaction score
SOS.....
Situation: iTunes in my mac keep popping error message "iTunes could not back up my iPhone.... corrupt or incompatible". This happened after i accidentally permanently deleted my iTunes backup folder/files from my external hd. Currently my iPhone6 is giving me problems and could be short-lived.

Need help: Besides iTunes, is there any recommendable third party software that can help do the job backing up my iPhone that doesn't cost a bomb? Would be a plus if that software/app can help to transfer out photos from iPhone to external storage... need to free up space in iPhone too.

Thx peeps!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Due to the design of the iPhone, it is only compatible with iTunes and iCloud for complete syncing/backup. There are other applications to retrieve photos from an iPhone, but no legal way of retrieving music/movies, due to the licensing in place between Apple and the media companies.

-Are you using a Mac or PC?
-Do you know what version of iOS on the iPhone?
-Were you using iCloud Backup?
-All iTunes purchases can easily be re-downloaded.
-Photos can be copied to a computer using apps like iPhoto/Photos/Image Capture on the Mac, and the Windows Photo Gallery.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info Cory.

Reply...
- I am using MacBook Air.
- The IOS on my ip6 is the latest 10.2.1.
- Trying to back up thru iTunes in my Mac; not icloud.

By the way, i just found a legal way to import/transfer my photos/videos from my iphone to my external hd using Preview. Saved precious space. Do u recommend using Preview over the other alternatives? Appreciate your input.

Advance thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

You can legally transfer videos and photos that you take wth your iPhone, just not videos that you purchased/synced from iTunes. There are ways to do that, but they are not supported by Apple. I am not sure how you would use Preview to do that?

Image Capture is probably the easiest way outside of iPhoto/Photos to backup photos and videos from your iPhone's camera,as you can select what you want to import and where.

Once you get everything backed up/synced, it would probably be wise to do a full erase and restore of the iPhone to clear things up.

C

Reaction score
You can experiment with Preview.
This is how I did it.

Plug in iphone.
Run Preview.
From tab File, click Import from "your target iphone".
A new window would pop out. Choose the photos/videos.
Click "Import".
Then choose where to import the files to.

I would try out Image Capture.
Cheers.

Ask a Question