2009 Macbook Pro Issues

Reaction score
Hi, I've had a macbook pro from early 2009 and it's been working fine until recently when the screen started to freeze every now and then, covered with multicolored lines etc, and I had to reboot.

It now freezes on the apple logo at startup and won't go any further. The screen has moved off-centre, so there's a black stripe running down the left side of the screen, about half a centimeter across.

The odd thing is that behind the screen, the computer is working fine. I can open applications using the keys, play music, and shut it down safely, but I just can't see any of it! It would probably work connected to an external monitor, but I need it to be portable.

I've taken it to the genius bar, who told me that it was a hardware issue with the graphics card and the logic board would need replacing (or something along those lines, it was a while ago). This is expensive and I'd rather save up for a new model later this year.

Before I buy the new one I just wanted to check that the advice I was given was correct (the guy on the bar was pretty useless and vague). Or is there a cheaper way of fixing it that doesn't require inserting a new logic board?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Sounds right to me.

Don't forget to buy Extended AppleCare with you new one.

Ask a Question