Late 2009 Macbook Pro screen issue

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Mac and I am not really much of a computer wiz but I was DJ'ing last night with my Macbook Pro and this happened (video in link below) can anyone tell me what this is and if it is worth fixing? Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That is usually a sign that the display or display cable is failing and needs to be replaced.

-Did this issue just start?
-Does it happen only after the unit has been on and heats up?
-Do you have an external monitor you could attach to see if the issue persists there? If so and it does, then it is a logic board/graphics chip issue. If not and the internal display only does it, then it is the cable and/or display itself.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

-It started within the last few days
-It seems to happen mostly when the computer first starts up and normally it's fine after 10 minutes or so
-I do not have a way of doing this at the moment however, I do think that it's a cable. I took it to the apple store and showed them what was going on and the guy kept pushing down on the bottom of the screen where the display cable runs through and every time he pushed down on it, the screen went back to normal. I just started it up now and it's been on for about 10 minutes with no issues.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

It does sound like the cable, since the Apple Store could replicate the issue in that way. If it continues, then you may have to have it repaired. When it happens again, try moving the screen back and forth carefully to see if it will temporarily fix it. Don't overextend the screen however.

Keep us updated,

C

Ask a Question