2 Macs, no luck. Help please!

Reaction score
I'm trying to install "10.5.4" on my mac. When I start up, it shows me a folder with a question mark. I insert the install disk 1, and go to disk utility where it shows "Media" and the install disk information and whatnot. There isn't any Macintosh HD though, just Media. When I click continue and proceed to the install menu where I get to select the destination to install Mac OS X, there aren't any options. Do I not have a hard drive? How do I fix this?

Additional info: I cannot partition "Media" because it says it's too small to have partitions

For the second Mac, I'm about 90% sure it has a virus. The installation process goes normally, but stops midway and shows a message saying something about being unable to verify the contents of the BSD.package or something along the lines of that. When I go into disk utility, it shows the SMART Status is failing. I've already completely wiped my hard drive.

My girlfriend and I have looked up as many things as we could to try to get either of these macs working again, but nothing has solved our problems. I don't have AppleCare or the money to get them fixed or replaced, which is why I'm trying to do it myself. I don't have any external hard drives I could use, either. Does anyone have any suggestions for either Mac? I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Mac 1

Where it shows Media, what exactly is listed? Is there any HD listed or just the Install DVD? What size does it show Media is? If the HD itself is not showing up, it has either failed or there is an issue with the MLB and/or cabling internally.

Mac 2

As you are seeing S.M.A.R.T. status is failing, it means the HD is failing due to a hardware issue, not software. When it fails at being unable to verify installation of the BSD.pkg, there are bad blocks on the HD, so it cannot write data and verify. The HD will need replaced. You can use an external HD if you purchase one.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
On the left side where Media is, listed:
"Media
OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630
Mac OS X Install Disk 1"

It also shows media of having a total capacity of 0 Bytes. Not sure if that's what you were asking, I'm not too experienced when it comes to Mac or PC tech, lol.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was asking about. ;) That is the information for the optical drive (CD/DVD), not the HD. So, it looks like the HD/cable/MLB are failing in some way. It would need to be serviced.

C

Reaction score
Hm. I may look into what you said about buying an external hard drive to resolve the problem with the first Mac. It would be easier to do in my situation, but I'm only worried it would be a waste of money, if it doesn't work. :/

Also, thank you for your help so far. It is very greatly appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If you did end up buying an external HD, it is still a good investment for the future. It can always be used as a backup drive with a future computer.

Not a problem, that's why we are here.

C

Reaction score
You can make a single Disk Image copy and them split that into 5 parts to burn off, but that would be a very time intensive task.

If any 1 DVD was unreadable the whole set is unusable.

Most people use another HD.

Ask a Question