"You do not have permission" txt file error

Reaction score
Right now, my mac will not save notepad (.txt) documents. Whenever I try to open one I've created it says "you do not have permission to open this file" - despite the fact I made it. What is going on?

I'm running 10.8.5 OS X on a desktop iMac. Everything else appears to be working fine.

Reaction score
Either the file is Damaged or there is a Permission problem.

Check the bottom section of the Get Info panel.

Reaction score
I checked it. I've got "read & write" set for every user. Not locked or anything like that.

I also can't save new text files now. It says they save, but the top is still labeled "untitled" and no file is made.

Reaction score
Hi,

Try the (save as) option, rename the file.
What is the result?
Also I would run permission repair two or three times.

Reaction score
Sorry, reread... That won't work.

I'm guessing it's damaged. Try dragging and dropping it onto another App like Pages.

Reaction score
Try the (save as) option, rename the file.
What is the result?
Also I would run permission repair two or three times.​

I can't "save as" because I cannot open it. Changing the file name does nothing.

I don't know what "permission repair" is.

I'll add - this isn't one file. This is EVERY .txt file I create. If I move a text file from it's original directory, I can't open it. If I move it back I can't open it. Sometimes, I can't even save a new or blank text edit file.

Other apps do not work either.

Ask a Question