Word 2011 slowing down

Reaction score
I use Word for Mac 2011 on a 1.6 GHz Macbook Air with 4 GBs of memory. I use Lion. Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest update for Word, 14.2.3. Since then I have experienced significant slowdown when I am in review mode and there is a lot of information on the screen - comments, insertions/deletions, etc. There is a long delay between typing a character and its appearance on the screen, or moving characters from one place to another. Activity Monitor does not show an extreme CPU or memory usage, and I am not using more computer memory in other programs than normal. And it is only Word that is slowing down. All the other programs are normal. The issue comes and goes. Sometimes is it is only marginally slower than it used to be, sometimes much more so, to the extent that I have to turn off view insertions/deletions in order to continue working. Does anyone else have this problem, and know of a fix?

I have done a permissions repair and a drive repair, but that didn't solve the problem.

Reaction score
Ensure you Quit Word between editing sessions.

Let MicroSoft know, they might fix it in the next update.

Ask a Question