wish to instal LION on crashed disc

Reaction score
My Mac iMac i7 8 gig 10.6.8 crashed, it was running on an external boot drive for 2 years, but just crashed.

Diagnostics said repair it! so I repaired it and it passed √√√ but it still won't "boot" - so I booted from the internal drive - then updated it to latest OS 10.6.8 and am downloading LION (might as well bite the bullet).

Yes, I've been running my Mac on an external drive :) whilst the internal just sat there - now the internal is up to date - I can instal LION onto it BUT... here is my question.

Can I instal LION on my external disc which is now OK√ but just won't boot (but it has all my files and programs) - that way I am hoping that my old OS will be upgraded to LION and I will have all my programs intact - otherwise I will be installing LION on my internal and have to rebuild ALL my programs.

So

Can I instal LION (whilst booted on internal drive) on an EXTERNAL drive and UPDATE the OS on it ? :)

or

do I have to find a way to boot from my external so LION know that's the OS I want to upgrade :)

and

Can I instal LION onto my external drive without wiping everything?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Can I instal LION (whilst booted on internal drive) on an EXTERNAL drive and UPDATE the OS on it ?
Yes I did that when testing Lion.

Can I instal LION onto my external drive without wiping everything?
Choose the right option while Installing. I think its call install in place.

P.S. OSX makes extensive use of the drive for virtual RAM. FireWire/USB is considerably slower than internal SARTA, having the speed of a i7 then slowing all the IO down to FireWire Speed is very sad.

Ask a Question