The 10.5 wishlist...

Ric

Reaction score
I know we'll all still getting used to and enjoying Tiger, but if you could influence the powers that be, what would you like added or improved to the next update 10.5

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric
I suppose it is not really down to the Operating System but a feature I would like to see is a paste command that will paste wherever the operator clicks the insertion.
Regards Teapot

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Teapot !

I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

...if I understand correctly you want to 'click and then the clipboard gets pasted...'

If that's what you mean, then there are ways that you can do that now...

Not quite with just a click though...

1) If you have a single button mouse (or trackpad) then hold down the 'ctrl' key to bring up the contextual menu and go to 'paste'

2) If you have a two button mouse, they normally come with software that allows you to assign different function to the 'second' button, maybe you could add a little AppleScript Application that 'did a paste'.

3) Assign 'paste' to one of your function keys...

Not sure whether any of this helps you though.. ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
A better classic that can run old mac games.
better compatibility with tiger(which will be like panther)applications.

Ric

Reaction score
tgcujo said:
A better classic that can run old mac games.
better compatibility with tiger(which will be like panther)applications.

...can't see that happening OS X has now been out for over 5 years so they're not really going to do much with OS 9 any more.

;-)

Reaction score
I'd love a simple "Find" like the one in Panther. It needn't be lightning fast.
I know there are ways of getting something similar but why shouldn't Apple give us the option?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Do you not like Spotlight ?

Have you had a play with smart folders, they can come in quite handy ?

Is there anything you could do with help with for Spotlight ?

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Regarding Classic...

With the intro of the Intel Macs, Classic is now "officially" dead. Classic will not install/be able to be run/be included in any form with the new Macs. I would venture to guess that Mac OS X 10.5 will have no support whatsoever as well.

Ric is spot on...the best is to buy an older Mac like a 8600/9600 and simply run OS 9 on it to play those older games. I keep my 8600 (with a Newer Tech G4/400MHz upgrade card, 512MB RAM, ATI Nexus 128 32MB video card, and Quantum 4GB and Seagate 2GB SCSI drives) connected to my LAN for simply that reason...running OS 9 apps, so I don't have to use them in Classic.

C

Reaction score
Hi Rick,
Thanks for your interest.
My gripes with Spotlight may be mostly the result of not reading documents, Apple reports, etc. for its use. For example, I admit that I just learned that a double quote (“) placed before the word or words in the file name to be search for will get the search started looking for the TITLE desired. This is usually all I ask from a search.
However, occasionally I like to add other criteria & I find this trickier. I’ve been using the little share-ware, Spotlaser, which at least presents the searcher with most (all?) of the secondary criteria in a single window. It still seems clunky.
I have a secondary Firewire drive. For a couple of weeks after update to 10.4.4 I wasn’t able to search it. Now results from it show up — I’ve no idea why.
Smart Folders are nice — but not as nice as a fast, seamless, find.
By the way, when (if ever) is it necessary to have Spotlight re-index?
B.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sorry missed this one...

I know what you mean, it is a little clunky !

There are new 'Spotlight Plugins' being written all the time, that help Spotlight delve deeper...

I tend to be overly organised on my Mac and must admit I don't use Spotlight that much...

ricssidebar.jpg

I'll have alook into the thinking behind re-indexing...not sure when it's best to redo...and what difference it would make ?

The quote tip is very handy..I shall try and compile a few handy tips for everyone !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question