Wiping Old HD

Reaction score
6:00 PM tomorrow;-), I'm lucky I can help people here while I do my job.

It certainly is, and I'm lucky with the beach is just a few minutes walk (not that I swim down here) for a nice walk and mountains up behind us.

Reaction score
We're back to selecting the Drive not the mount point, so the entry that does NOT read "Macintosh HD", just above it.

Reaction score
Sorry, this old lady had to go to bed.. Progress ...I just selected 74.5 GB FUJISU MHW20.. From the list. It was the number above Macintosh HD. The Options Button was enabled! Yeah! The name on that Erase tab now says "Untitled" When I hit the options button I now have the option to Zero all data (that's the one I want right?) or I can choose 8 way Random Write Format!!! I'm so excited. I won't do a thing until I hear from you. I don't want to zero out something I'm not supposed to...hope you have a good nights sleep.

Reaction score
You've got it! Zero all data will do unless you work for a government department and have a legal responsibility to use 8, the 8 way Random Write will take hours.

Rename it to Macintosh HD and proceed.

The Erase will take long enough. wait wait wait...

Reaction score
Sorry I've been gone for so long. Have problems with the MacBookPro. Had to repair disk permissions and reinstall Lion. My Lord that took 2 hrs! I'm off to do what you said.

Reaction score
I renamed it Macintosh HD. Went to Options. Selected Zero all data. Hit OK There is no progress bar but I put my ear...hearing aid and all...right down there and I can hear it making noises. Have to go to the dentist. I'm switching it to AC adapter just in case. Will let you know where I'm at when I come back.

Reaction score
It's been 9 hours. It hasn't whirred or peeped for several hours. Is there a way to check that it wiped it? Should I close the erase window and finish the installation?

Reaction score
Is there any way after this installation is finished that I can tell it's wiped...zero out or whatever?

Reaction score
Not without special software, but I don't doubt it will be done. This is a security feature after all.
After the installation I'm not sure you even want to set up the OS, just check that it boots and leave the setup to the new owner.

Reaction score
i tryed to force quit....Command, Option and ESC It didn't work Can I just close it up. Will that work?

Reaction score
I'm not frozen or anything I just thought I'd leave the Set Up for the next owner. I'm still not confident that I wiped the drive. If I finish the Set Up is there anyway I can "see" if the HD is wiped? You're being very patient with me and I am so grateful for that!

Reaction score
I know of no software that will let you see a Zeroed Hard Drive. You can always just do it again. If you are concerned then do the 8x you'll know then as it will take hours and hours.

Reaction score
I'd at least run the installer, so they get the normal Setup your Mac screens. But it doesn't really matter, they get what they get...

Reaction score
I did finish the installation...I just stopped at the set up (Do You Already Have a Mac?). If I finish the setup is there a way to know that the HD is wiped?

Reaction score
Yes, that is a good place to leave it.

No, there really is no way of knowing, other that running expensive file recovery software across the drive. And then looking through the thousands of files (of OS X) and trying to find anything that used to be there. Not an easy task, even for professionals.

Reaction score
OK I think I'm going to hope it's wiped. I can't tell you how grateful to you I am for helping me. I know this has been a long problem. I really appreciate all the trouble you went thru. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Reaction score
Its always nice to get a Reputation boost. Its the button with the Tick and Cross just under the Posts: and beside Kaveman is online now;-)

Ask a Question