Winzip for Mac deleting files

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help

I am a mac user – Macbook Pro 13 inch 2016 using sierra 10.12.6 and winzip 7.0.4521.

I have opened the winzip application up, ticked ‘encrypt when adding to zip’ and pressed the ‘+’ icon to add to zip. I’ve then navigated to the file, a ~20mb file that was just floating on my desktop, and added the file. I’ve then hit ‘save as’ and when the screen popped up where I’d typically type in the file name, I’ve notived that ‘desktop’ has absolutely no files – it seems they’ve all been deleted. I’ve then switched screens to check and there’s nothing at all on my desktop any more. I had Steam on there, around 30 folders, perhaps 20 docs (word, PDF and ZIP) plus a couple of screenshots I was keeping as proof of purchase. I’ve tried searching for the documents via finder but finder can’t locate them either.

I’ve not pressed ‘Save’ yet as I’m hoping you can help me find these documents?

Please also note they’re not in the trash folder – I’ve already checked. I've also done some pretty intense searching of google, and have emailed Winzip support but wouldn't expect a reply from them for another 24 - 48 hours so hope someone here can recommend something.

Thanks in advance,

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

As always, it is recommended that you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data. Do you have one?

First thing to check - if you are using an iCloud account on your Mac, check  > System Preferences... > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options... > Desktop & Documents Folders - is that checked?

Not sure if WinZip has anything to do with it, but see what they say.

C

Reaction score
Hi there - thanks sincerely for your reply. No, I don't have time machine set up on this laptop unfortunately, and I have checked my icloud which has everything BUT the Desktop and Docs folders checked..

It's so strange - although not proficient, I am certainly computer literate as I use this machine for work, am 100% sure that the documents, folders & files I had on my desktop were there until the moment I created this ZIP. I'd been saving new files to the desktop not 10 minutes before, and had been opening and working from files on the desktop throughout that day.

Thanks for your help anyway

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...OK, thanks.

Do you still have the Save dialog open? I am interested in what WinZip says. Not sure what to suggest at this point.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

C

Ask a Question